Those up and running with a goat related biz

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Graffogefarms, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Just wondering - anybody out there, up and running with a goat related biz, from the milk or meat end? Trying to focus on things here, and show examples of people successfully starting out and building up and selling products? Something that I can show to enterprise board here.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We are currently in the planning stages of a goat dairy. We have all of our animals that we need and a new barn(another barn and parlor is in the planning) We want to be a licensed homestead cheese producer and sell cheese at farmers markets.
    Currently, we are selling raw milk and raw cheese to our customers from the city, as well as goat meat. The goat meat sells like crazy and is usually gone pretty fast as soon as people find out about it.
    For advertising, in our state, we arne't allowed to advertise, it's against the law. I have an add on several whole food websites saying that we have goats, for meat and milk, but I never say in my adds that we sell milk or have milk for sale. You can advertise meat.
    We usually give our new customers goat meat for free, along with how to cook it so they can try it and get hooked. Same with the cheese. We don't give the milk away.
    We charge $8 a gallon for milk, same for yogurt and kefir, $5 for 8 oz of soft cheese, $10 a lb for hard cheeses. All of these prices for cheese will raise as we get more experience.
    Goat meat is $4.50 a lb for ground and sausage, and $5-7 a lb for roasts and chops.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois