Those who test for CAE ????

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by needs to know more, Feb 18, 2008.

1. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    For those who test, or only buy goats that have been tested, how many labs do you use/require before believing the tests??
    I don't want to open the debate, just want to know what you do!!!!

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I would use a very unscientific method - if it was a result that I didn't want to hear, I'd retest. Probably two additional times using another lab once.

3. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    i use only WADDL. they are using the ELISA test that is the most reliable.

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am doing our first test this month, how much does it cost to do just CAE with ELISA testing?

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I paid $20 for a combined cl/cae test sent to Davis but that was with a group where the blood was drawn by the people participating so all I had to pay was for the lab work and mailing. When the vet did it the year prior it was $55 plus the office call.

6. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
  7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I test yearly for CAE, every other year for CL. I quarenteen new animals brought in for up to ninety days and two CAE tests. (adults) When buying kids i ask to see the negative test results.
    Im actually debating on a really nice doe who has tested negative but she has been running with positive animals the past few months. IF i get ger her and thats a big IF, i will quarenteen her for a year, she will have her own milk stand buckets and pen across the property from the other goats. I may get a whether to put with her. She will be tested every three months for that year and then if she tests clean all those times she can go in with the other goats.
    beth

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I go through my vet and she charges me 15.00 a head for the test. I believe she sends it to WADDLE - but not for sure. I test yearly on everyone.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Ouch that seems so expensive. A friend of mine and i try and order things together and we trade services. I trim her goats hooves and help her with clipping and she comes over to help me draw blood. I pay for the test and the test only. We then send all our tubes in together and only pay one shipping fee.
    beth

10. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    I noted that some sites state that adult goats or goats over 6 months tested negative for CAE.

Does this mean that kids shouldn't be tested shouldn't be tested until 6 months of age?

If you buy a kid in which the CAE status is unknown should the kid remain on isolation until a negative test at 6 months?

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

if the farm where the kid came from tested negative and the kids dam tested neagative and the kid was started on cae prevention, no i think the kid should be fine with other kids. If the parents where never tested and the kid was not raised on cae prevention yes i would isolate the kid.
    beth

12. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    if a kid is tested positive when younger than six month, it will only tell if it had gotten colostrum from a positive doe. if the colostrum was pasteurized properly, this kid will go from positive to negative. if this kid test negative, you can assume that it had colostrum from negative animals.
    i test all kids that are coming new to my farm as soon as they arrive, no matter the age as this will tell me if the kid was exposed and what can be expected in the future. it will be retested with six month to make sure it is negative.
    does this makes sense to you?

13. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007

I'm glad you cleared that up for me. :thumbup: It makes PERFECT sense. I have read and heard so much about CAE that :shrug:

I like to know and take all the necessary precautions.

You can always get the best advice from longtime goat mommies in the know. :cool: