Thostle's on his knees...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, Feb 12, 2008.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Sorry I haven't been around for a long time! I've missed you guys and hope to stop by more often. Anyway, our buck Thistle had bad feet and we got them all trimmed as best we could because he was down on his knees in his stall. He was up and about, but then last week he was crawling again and I can't seem to straighten his legs anymore. I'm afraid we're going to have to put him down. He is eating, drinking, pooping and peeing okay, but can't get up! He has also had a tumor for many months and we didn't think he'd live this long, but it's much better. Could this be CAE? We had a doe with it several years ago. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks, guys! Brooke :shrug:

2. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Knees

I am not an expert by any means, but this sounds like founder (laminitis) to me.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have no expertise to offer- the being physically unable to straighten his legs does not sound like founder to me. That might mean that he has pain enough to stay off his feet but I don't think it effects the knee joint.
    But you could give him some anti-inflammitory which if it is something like that would give him some relief.
    I have not seen CAE but it does sound like stuff I have read- I'm afraid that I would have to rely on the vet for a diagnosis.
    I'm s

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Where was the tumor at? I would get some chrondoiton(sp?) and give it to him, that is a joint support supplement. Is he showing any other signs of being 'off'?

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It could be any number of problems. CAE can be a very dibilitatien disease, advanced cases can cause joints to fuse. And the goat can be in a lot of pain. Laminitis or founder is usualy caused by the goat being over weight, it causes the bones in the feet to move into improper positions. Again can be very painful. X-rays of the feet can diagnose this. A simple blood test will diagnose CAE.
    It could also be a bad case of hoof rot. a certain kind of mites in the pasturn area ( i can;t remember what theyre called) can cause a lot of feet problems too.
    beth

6. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    if the hoofs from a goat are neglect long enough and she/he goes on the knees, this can lead to shortening of the ligaments in the knee and the leg will stiffen up. founder, cae and mycoplasma can have the same effect.
    if he is long enough on his knees, he eventually might die of pneumonia.

7. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    If the tumor is getting better, are you sure it's a tumor and not just an abcess?

8. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks, all...the vet who looked at Thistle's tumor last year was quite convinced it was a tumor, not an abscess as we had thought. We treated it anyway with Granulex and it was better, but never completely went away. It is located under the armpit, or just beside it anyway, of his front leg.
    I'm at a loss how to help him. He isn't overweight, but like I said his feet had gotten bad, long hooves before we realized it. I'll try some anti-inflammatory, but I just don't have much hope for him right now and I can't stand that he could be suffering. He seems healthy otherwise, but I think it only took a couple of days on his knees for them to really stiffen up. I appreciate the help!

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

has he ever had a cdt shot there? That is a very commen place for a cdt shot and if it was done improperly it very well could be an abcess and it could be causing him pain.
    beth