Thots on probable coccidia

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Sep 27, 2009.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Most of you know that I have dealt with treatment and diagnosis of coccidia in 2 kids a year and a half ago.....anyhow, my newest herd member Penny is now 11 weeks old(tomorrow :wink: ) she's been here now for 2 weeks. I had planned on starting her on cocci prevention a week ago but well...I forgot :oops: She started with soft clumpy poop Thursday night, but I attributed that to her getting into the boys grain bucket and cleaned out all the corn and oats...which I thot I had out of her reach, so I skipped her grain, gave her some alfalfa pellets and some dry oatmeal. Saturday, her poop went runny so she got a dose of pepto and I started her on Di Methox.....her weight is 22# so she got a 4 cc dose, given probiotic paste as well. Her temp has stayed normal since Thursday...102.8, no fluctuations and she's been eating hay like always, no loss of appetite. Her poop is formed now but still stinky and after dealing with a cocci case last year...the smell of Penny's poo brought back that memory real quick! Poop is still soft but not runny, so after 3 doses of pepto yesterday, I haven't given any today.
    Rumen sounds are good with 8 good movements within 20 minutes.

It's been steadily raining here since Friday night and it has gotten a bit chilly. Since my bvet is not in on weekends I figured I'd get Penny on the Di Methox course asap, IF I can get a fecal run tomorrow, I will but it likely won't be til Tuesday.....and I plan on having all goats checked here shortly anyhow. I am almost 100% positive that she has coccidia, all the same symptoms are there...except the high temp and decreased appetite. Which, the first cocci case I ever dealt with was Chief, and he ate like there was no tomorrow and didn't run a fever either.
    So far Penny has gotten dosed with:

4ccs DiMethox and 3 doses of pepto at 6cc 6 hours apart, probiotic paste twice since Saturday morning.
    Today she got 2.5 cc DiMethox and a dose of probiotics.
    She has fresh water and hay freechoice as well as minerals and baking soda.
    I'll continue with the Di Methox for the next 3 days and will let you all know how the fecals turn out.
    Thanks for listening!

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz.....so sorry your dealing with cocci.....as you know I have had my share of it here in the past, no fun! I had such a hard time with it this spring that the vet had me start adding the deccox crumbles to the little boys grain after their treatments were done.......I still am feeding it to them, I plan on weaning them from it here soon....after them having cocci sooooo bad I'm almost afraid to stop feeding it.....
    Take care, she'll be over it soon! Denise

3. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Coccidia . . . ugh . . . you know my two doelings battled that here off and on despite all of my attempts to keep it at bay. I had fecals run on Thursday and thankfully my three girls were still coccidia-free, but Huckleberry had a heavy load!! I couldn't believe it since he has been on Blue Seal medicated goat feed, has minerals, is moved daily, and he had a light load a few weeks ago that we treated successfully. To see it come back so quickly after a treatment and for it to be a HEAVY load to boot, it's just maddening. He acts normal, no fever, is growing, etc. My only clue, as usual, clumpy poop . . . the kind that if you touch it with your boot will fall apart into normal berries.

Anyway, I share your frustration! All I can think of on my end is to switch from Sulmet to DiMethox. In your previous case of coccidia did the DiMethox work . . . and did the coccidia return?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The Di Methox worked well...so did the Albon....I just went to the Di Methox because it was easier to get thru Hoeggars and Jeffers.

She's still doing good and her poop is clumped berries, so I know she will recover.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like you are doing the right thing Liz.

I had good results with Sulmet one year then other years one kid died even though he was on sulmet so I switched to Corid so if somethign isnt working switch to something else

6. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I would agree that if you can still see berries in the clumps that it sounds like she is going to be okay with treatment :) I would just run another fecal on her again, maybe two weeks after treatment? or so to make sure it is gone.

I really think I may switch meds as I'm beginning to think the Sulmet may just not be working as effectively as it should. I wish I had ordered the Dimethox from Hoegger's the other day!! I may also look into the coccidia med that Stacey had mentioned a while back, Baycox. It may be worth the expense . . . just nervous about ordering from overseas :worried:

7. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    kids-n peeps,
    There is another medications that is very similar or same as baycox around here.. It is called Goat Aid-C.. My vet makes them and sells them too. They work wonders and fast. It knocks the coccidia out fast also..

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have a 6:00 appt tonite to have fecals done, not just on Penny but the other does before they are bred....so I'm off to the vets office now.

Penny is being her normal sweet and inquisitive self, the scours are gone, she's eating well...being picky with the choice of food I gave her but is munching hay, chewing cud and just loves the fact that the Di Methox syringe is coated with karo at the tip...just enough sweet to get her to take the med easily...this is her 3rd dose of the sulfa so it is working :wink:

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can find Baycox in the US -- I just was told of the cheapest place in Australia and they take paypal :thumb:

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Fecal on girls came back clear and Penny had a low number of cocci! :leap: The DiMethox is working :leap:

After talking with Dr Hess while the poop was being prepared for the slides, I told her that Penny has been on the sulfa since Saturday because of the ploppy poop....she said the cocci count was low and to go back in a week with another sample but she is confident that Penny will be clear as well. So the Di Methox works here for prevention as well as treatment, and I don't need to worm my girls before the planned breedings in a few weeks :wink:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  12. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    You can't get Baycox here in the US. My vet spoke directly to the Bayer rep and he said they cannot sell it in the US. Something about FDA, as usual. So I had to order overseas, and the customer service was wonderful from the group in Australia. I wouldn't hesitate to order it again, or to use it. It is so easy, they love it, and it works wonders. I just wish it would get worms too!

13. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Corid kills cocci at the beginning of the cocci cycle, and DiMethox kills it at the more adult stage, it works well to give them both. Sometimes the cocci you are trying to kill is easier to kill at one stage or another. DiMethox is generic Albon. I like the 40% DiMethox given at the rate of .08ml per lb for day 1 and .04ml per lb day for days 2-14.

14. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    For several years Sulmet worked great for me. Just one five day treatment and no kid ever got another case. But the past two years, which have been extremely wet, I was finding I had to do 2 or 3 courses and increase dosage. It finally worked but it seems a resistance developed. So I am going with the Di-Meth next year. Will look into the Baycox and Goat Aid too.

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Repeat fecal came back all clear......and this baby is now a full 3 months old and has gained 3 lbs within 2 weeks! Penny is up to 25#.

Just had to add that the 3 kids, Penny's 2 sisters as well as the doeling that is 16 days younger ended up with cocci as well....All are better now and doing very well after treatment with Di-Methox.( These kids are at the breeeders farm)