The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a T shirt design for a class so I have been painting one of Buddy's pics. Thought I would share. This is my Paso Fino Gelding Buddy and his name says it all. He is my buddy. He is a sweet natured little fellow who doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He spooks by standing stock still. (I know this because we had a squirrel literally fall out of a tree and hit the ground right beside us on a trail ride) He is smooth at every gait but his Largo is like flying. He even has a smooth canter and hand gallop which is rare to find in gaited horses. He is about 13 this year and stand only 14.1, but since I am not quite 5'4" we fit each other pretty well.
Voila Buddy!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Very nice guy you have there. Seems its hard to find a good horse anymore (I know since I've been looking for a kids horse for 2years lol) but you are very lucky to find a good horse :)

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is a lack of good trainers. I do consider myself lucky. I have gotten to the age where I don't bounce so well, so I will only keep horses with some sense. I have been fortunate to have a couple of really great horses in my life and some other good horses too. Fire was my best horse ever, Clyde and Buddy about tie for second place. Black was a good boy, and Navigator isn't a bad boy just a little herd bound. Dusty is an awesome pony. Sadly Fire, Clyde, and Black have all passed away.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to research that to see what it is called when I first got him I had never seen a bay colored just like him before. It is call pangare a bay with pangare, it creates the blonde tips on the mane and tail and the mealy area around the muzzle.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I had to research that to see what it is called when I first got him I had never seen a bay colored just like him before. It is call pangare a bay with pangare, it creates the blonde tips on the mane and tail and the mealy area around the muzzle.
Huh, I've never heard of that color! I've seen a similar sort of coloring in Rocky Mountain horses, but that's it.

I guess you learn something new everyday! lol

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is actually a different color, it is a little complicated but Rocky mountain horses that are a chocolate color with a flaxen mane (which I think is beautiful by the way) are Silver Dapples.

Buddy's color is technically Bay but he has Pangare over the bay it is like a modifier to the bay, causing the light tips and mealy muzzle.
Dun is also a modifier, and Roan. A horse can be a red dun or a yellow dun or a dunalino, but they are all dun, they are vastly different colors. A red dun is dun modifying a sorrel horse. A yellow dun is typically dun modifying a bucksin. A dunolino is dun modifying a palomino.
Roan is the same way you can have a bay roan, strawberry roan or blue roan. Bay roan is roan modifying a bay horse, strawberry roan is roan modifying a sorrel horse, blue roan is roan modifying a black horse.
Pangare just isn't as well known because it isn't such a drastic modifier as roan or dun.
There is a lot about color genetics in horses I don't know, but I have picked up a bit here and there. Pretty fascinating. And my terminology might not be right it might not be called a modifier but it was the best way for me to describe the action the gene takes.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry I will have to go out in the field and take more pics of my horses. That is the only one of Buddy I have on the computer. Which is why I was trying to alter it in paint. That fake wooden fence is covering up this hideous homemade gate that dad made. A gate we don't even have anymore. But I love the expression Buddy has on his face here and it is hard to get good pics of Buddy I usually just get a nose, because he has to see what the camera is... :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts