Thought we were done!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by dragonfly farms, Jan 27, 2009.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Well thought we were done with Goat kidding until after the wedding, but I was wrong. I have one yearling doe that has always been fat so i did not think much of it when she started to look fatter and pregnant like. All I said was "man she needs a diet". Nope, I was wrong she is pregnant. After staring at her for a long time I decided that by the pooch test she is 100% prego. Her vulva is swollen and pink. I also felt under her today and her udder area is swollen (compared to her sister) I can grab a small handful of udder on her, where her sister is flat as a board.

I am not sure when she was bread, one of the baby boys must have done the deed, since she has not even seen my herd sire.

I am concerned that this will be hard for her, she is a year old this week and around 35-40 pounds. I am afraid it is to late for a shot to force her into heat, so I guess we will wait it out. She is one of our favorites, her and her sister were our first bottle babies, so we are very nervous.

I will try to get a picture posted of her back end when the rain stops.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I wouldn't be to worried. I have had ones deliver at a year old (week shy) and did great. Also others have had some born a few months before a year (accidental breedings).

With a small pouch of an udder, she would be to far for a shot of Lute, but should have about a month, maybe a little less, left is my estimate without feeling and seeing her.

Congrats - another baby coming!

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do understand where you are coming from but I had one deliver before she was a year old and she needed help only because the baby was breach.
    I will say that it did stunt her growth a bit so I made she she was not bred again until she was three. That gave her enough time to be as big as everyone else.
    I know what you mean about not knowing when. I had three does I thought were just getting really fat, then I finally decided nope they are prego. Two delivered the same day and then the other one was 3 days later.

It is a great surprise as long as it all goes well, luck it did for me.

4. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I think I would give her a longer break after she kids. :shrug: Hope all goes well!!!! :pray:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well congrats on the upcoming kidding. She should be fine.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm sure she'll be just fine! I have a pygmy/nigi doe that was accidentally bred at 4 months old...she was big for her age and delivered a single doeling at 9 months old without me...all on her own. With an udder forming, and without seeing her I would say she probably has at minimum a month to go....see if you can feel baby movement, most of the time you can feel kids at around the end of the 3rd month to the beginning/middle of the 4th month.

7. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Thank you all for the encouraging messages! I am thinking she still has awhile to go (maybe 2 months). It was yucky out all day so good pictures were not happening. I have been trying to feel babies, but she doesnt like me touching her belly (or really any place but her head and neck) right now.

I'm still a little nervous, but then again I am when all my girls are pregnant. But I am excited for more little bouncing babies!

8. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Well I spent some time with Coco this morning since she was standing there grunting (must be slightly uncomfortable) I got her relaxed enough so I could touch her belly. I felt the babies kicking around in there! So here we go! Time to play the waiting game!

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    such a cool feeling! I cant wait till I can feel babies :cool:

10. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Coco's udder has started to drop, she has a small little pooch!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    every little detain is so much fun to watch isnt it. I am so glad for TGS where I can talk about growing udders and feeling babies and not get a look like I have lost my mind or I am a pervert of some kind :shades:

12. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    LOL. . . I get the strangest looks from people who see my pictures of the back ends of goats. LOL . .

I love to feel the wee ones kicking, I can wait to see what your new little ones look like DragonFly

13. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Well the real waiting begins now, Coco lost her plug yesterday morning and is producing clear goo. My little baby is having babies!

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  15. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MMMM I had 3 pics of Demi's cha cha on my camera the other day... and one of the captains picked it up and was looking through my pictures. He was like "Kate! What IS this???"

Im like "It's a goat's rear, Witek."

him: "WHY do you have goat a$$ on your camera, strange girl?!"

me: "to see if she's pregnant" :D

him (calling the others) : "guys! Look! She has goat a$$ on her camera!!!"

I grab the camera and quickly delete the pictures... :roll: