The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
L.A.M.E.Acres
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on banding?? I keep reading that it is considered in-humane! This will be our 1st time banding goats but we have banded our lambs and even a few calves before and it didn't seem to traumatic for them. I have read that using a tool called a burdizzo is much more humane way of neutering, any thoughts on this would be great! And if we do band at what age is best to band our nubian goats??

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't consider banding inhumane. A little painful - yes, but not inhumane. I band mine at roughly 2 months of age. I would wait until 3, but the older they are the harder it is on them and the harder it is to restrain them.

·
Nibbles! Not again...
1,532 Posts
I'm not terribly experienced but I don't believe banding is inhumane...they go numb pretty quick so it might be uncomfortable for a while but I doubt it hurts. Depends on how much you want them to grow before you cut the hormones off they slow down after that...with boers I have seen people wait as long as almost 6 months...just depends on how big you want them to be. :)

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I'm not sure how taking an instrument and crushing blood vessels is more humane! I think I'd rather band. LOL We've banded and it's really not that bad. Just make sure you get the band on correctly and they have a few minutes of acting like you've killed them (goats are such drama queens!) and then they are fine. I'm guessing you'd still have the drama queen scenario if you were crushing things down there too!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well we have used both and they both seemed to hurt the same for the animal. They lay around for a few hours then back almost to normal. We used the burdizzo because there was less chance of infection. Well that part seemed to be true but we stopped because we had a few one testy calf's running around. So it ended up being more painful for some because we had to get them back in and do again. At least with the band you can feel and see that right then both testys are going to be gone and not wait till maybe they breed a few does to see that it didn't work with the
burdizzo

·
L.A.M.E.Acres
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya we always thought that banding was easiest to do with our other animals and have never had any problems or complications with it! But ofcourse with reading different websites and then in a goat book I have it says that banding is the least humane way to neuter them! That using a burdizzo or similar instrument is the most humane way for the animal! Idk but since we have banded before I think we will stick with that for now:)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I would. To be honest the thought if the little parts rotting off is gross to me but still I think the best way to go. With the cattle we always used a knife.....it was clean and done but we were starting to have fox tails get up in there so we changed to the burdizzo and I liked that less of all. After generations of us doing cattle we have changed to the band. No more worries of foxtails or bleeding too much....which we never had a loss from that but the risk is still there. We have now done about 500 little boys in the last two years with no issues....knock on wood ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts