The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Goats (of course), Rabbits, chickens, turkeys, ducks and maybe quail soon
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nigerian kidded about a week ago. Everything turned out fine but I wanted your opinions on my decisions and if there was something I could have done better. I attached two pictures to help explain. I have only had a few goat births on my farm and they all started with a couple pushes and the babies just plopped right out. This time the mom had part of the water bag out for about 20 mins and a lot of pushing with no results. The water bag got about twice as big than in the pic I have. I decided to assist. I popped the bag and saw one hoof barely out. When I reached in the nose was next and the second hoof right behind the ear. I worked for what seemed like eternity but probably 5 mins to get the second hoof where I could get a good enough hold to pull both hooves at the same time. Once I had them both I would pull downward, mom was lying down, when she was pushing. I was pulling with a good amount of strength, guessing about 10lbs. Nothing was progressing. I felt like mom was going to be in trouble if I didn't get the baby out soon. She push and I pulled as hard as I could, no progression. She screamed and I just kept a hold of the feet because the one inside of her was hard for me to get. She push again and I pulled as hard as possible, while pulling she stood up and the baby's head and shoulders came out. I figured the baby was dead, the water had been popped for about 15mins. He was fine and mom ended up being fine too. Would this have usually caused her uterus to tear? I was so afraid of that. Should I have waited for her to push longer and see if she could have done it herself? Something in my gut was saying she needed help but also was so afraid of hurting her. Just wondering so if this ever happens again. Also, could it be she is too small to kid or do you think the buck was unusually large? He seemed large to me compared to the other handful of kids we have had. She's very small though. About 30lbs and year and Half old. Would you breed her again?
Vertebrate Comfort Mammal Carnivore Ear
Vertebrate Mammal Dog breed Fawn Goat

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
You did good by helping her, that was the right thing to do.
Tearing sometimes happens, but mostly from when a kids head is backwards.

The kid looks huge, no wonder she had issues.

It isn’t good the buck was a bigger breed size than her and if she is a really small doe can create kidding issues. She was close to a C section. So you are very lucky with the outcome with a live kid as well.

Don’t worry when you break the liquid bag to get to the kid.
It is the umbilical cord you don’t want to break, if it is a long hard to get out the kid delivery.
Usually a breach delivery will snap that cord quickly, then you have to get that kid out fast. They will suffocate without that lifeline.

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Stepping in and helping is a gut reaction we all need to decide to follow or not, a case by case thing. I don't normally step in as long as mom makes progress and bag is intaked. Once that bag breaks mom gets 30 minutes to get baby on the ground or make progress and doing good, close to deliver. It's a case by case decision. Baby is huge. Glad it all turned out well

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You did good by helping her, that was the right thing to do.
Tearing sometimes happens, but mostly from when a kids head is backwards.

The kid looks huge, no wonder she had issues.

It isn’t good the buck was a bigger breed size than her and if she is a really small doe can create kidding issues. She was close to a C section. So you are very lucky with the outcome with a live kid as well.

Don’t worry when you break the liquid bag to get to the kid.
It is the umbilical cord you don’t want to break, if it is a long hard to get out the kid delivery.
Usually a breach delivery will snap that cord quickly, then you have to get that kid out fast. They will suffocate without that lifeline.
This makes so much sense. I didn’t know about the umbilical cord. I just assumed the kid would try and breath and suffocate but I did know they get oxygen from the cord. We had a breach baby one time. We did not assist and mon got her out pretty quick but they baby was almost dead. I bet her cord snapped. I thought the baby looked huge. The dad is very small to but I think I made the mistake of feeding mom too much the last bit of her pregnancy and it being a single buck. I am so proud of her for getting it out and being such a good mom.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stepping in and helping is a gut reaction we all need to decide to follow or not, a case by case thing. I don't normally step in as long as mom makes progress and bag is intaked. Once that bag breaks mom gets 30 minutes to get baby on the ground or make progress and doing good, close to deliver. It's a case by case decision. Baby is huge. Glad it all turned out well
Thank you for this reply. So you would have let the mom continue to push for a bit more if the bag had not broke? My girl didn’t seem too tired and I think I could have waited longer. I did start panicking a little and had to tell my self to get it together.

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
I may have waited longer but honestly not being there is hard to say. Everything turned out for all so I wouldn't stress it too much ;)

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
When they begin labor, initially their water breaks.
Then we see the baby bubble.
They can push and push and not break that bubble even hours later in some cases.

When the bag breaks and too much time goes by, it may make the doe go a bit dry making it harder for the kid to slip out, especially if she is having kidding issues.

If I am unsure how long a doe has been in labor, I will go in and assist anyway.

I feel you did the right thing, better to be safe than sorry in my book.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.