Thoughts on this ND doe?

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by CaramelKittey, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Pretty Girl! She definitely needs more body capacity, which should lead to more udder capacity as well. I still like her udder height, but she really lacks rear udder attachment and a stronger medial would fix her teat placement. That and a stronger topline are what I would breed for.

MadHouse and CaramelKittey like this.
  2. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Thank you! I'll definitely keep that in mind when we try to breed her! It looks like we might not be able to use Johnny Cash, which I'm actually not to upset about, since it gives us an excuse to search for another buck elsewhere. I'm not super happy about using Johnny Cash's sire, Gruyere, since he doesn't seem to have the greatest lines. But, I don't really wanna spend too much on a buck, and find out later that she isn't pregnant.
    [​IMG]
    This is Gracie's half sister, Big Medicine Nakita. Nakita's dam was Skyfall, and her sire was Gruyere. She has smaller teats AND has less of a medial suspensory ligament than Gracie, so I'd like to avoid using Gruyere (Nakita's sire) if possible.
    [​IMG]
    This is Gruyere.
    I really wish we could use EOTL G Jumpin Jack Flash, but they are both polled, and I don't want to risk a hermaphrodite. There are a few studs around us I may be able to use, but I don't want something too expensive. If Gracie can get bred, I really don't mind spending a lot of money on a nice buck for her, but if she can't, I don't want to waste it..

Attached Files:

Morning Star Farm and MadHouse like this.

3. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    That's a good point. It's important to make sure she will carry her kids full term this time. And there will be plenty more years to breed her to a really nice buck if she does.

MadHouse and CaramelKittey like this.
  4. CaramelKittey

We tried to breed her to Johnny Cash and she had no interest! It was the end of her heat cycle and I was worried we drove up for nothing, as she was NOT having him! We were thinking about heading home but I asked to try Gruyere, and she was instantly in love! Crazy, but she was bred to Dreahook Dei Gruyere. :)

MadHouse likes this.
  5. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    They do have their preferences! Maybe because he was still a young'un and she wants experience!

I have been trying to get some breeding done, but it seems my Lamancha doe wants to be with the Nubian buck. My smallish, older Nubian doe wants the Nubian buck as well, not the Nigerian I want to breed her to. Nobody seems to want to be bred to my older Mancha buck, poor guy. He is so well bred and sires gorgeous kids, but everyone wants the Nubian. Grrrrrr

CaramelKittey and MadHouse like this.
  6. CaramelKittey

They just have minds of their own! :haha:
    I’m told you can duct tape their tails to their back, then duct tape around their barrel, and hold them in place while the buck breeds them. When we went to breed Gracie, the breeder told us that, but we didn’t have duct tape and after seeing Johnny Cash in person Gruyere did look like the better choice!