thoughts on udder sanitation and management

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by La Oberhasli, Dec 18, 2007.

1. La Oberhasli

La Oberhasli New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    *note: as I write this I realize that it might be more appropriate in the dairy section*

Through my experience I have found that the best way to keep does clean prior to milking is to 1) bathe them completely with soap and water after kidding. If not their whole body, just their rear, hind legs, and udder. This also reduces the risk of vaginal staph aureus infection (also occurs on udder) which mostly goes untreated at breeding as well as kidding but can be prevented by sanitation. 2) I douse their whole udder with a bleach and wetting agent based udder wash which I make then wipe their udder and belly with a paper towel.

The udder wash solution that I use is 1/4 cup bleach, 1 squirt of Liquid Ivory (or Octagon), and 1 quart of water. I sometimes also use glycerin in the summer when udder balm gets too sticky. I switched from using, Chlorexidine Gluconate based, Fight Bac to this solution and since the superficial staph aureus and pseudomonas 'zits' have been eliminated.

However, the reason I feel compelled to join this forum and write all this is because recently my yearling doe Cailyn (1/2 Oberhasli, 1/2 LaMancha, 130pounds approx., fresh March 15 2007) has developed two clusters of superficial staph aureus 'zits' cemetrically positioned over both of her glands. I began to notice them when I started using a commercially prepared udder balm. Yesterday I commenced to treat with an ocytetracycline based antibiotic ointment.

Any thoughts about how to treat this would be appreciated.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hi there, welcome!! I don't have anything to offer for you in your situation, sorry, but I wanted to make sure you were welcomed properly to The Goat Spot. :D

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Welcome!!

So these are 'zits' around the vaginal area? Have you tried putting a copper solution on them? Copper will kill it if it is viral or fungal, in fact, when things like this surface, you should look at the copper in the diet to make sure they are sufficient. Mixing a solution of a quart of water, 1-2 tsps of copper and 2 tbsp of ACV sprayed on will help.

What are the zits like? Oozy? Crusty? Bloody? Is this some type of pox?

I'm not a fan of using bleach, I found that when I did use it it dried their udders out so bad even if I used udder balm. A much better alternative is white vinegar, which has the same disinfecting properties as bleach but isn't so harsh on them. Is it possible that she's having some kind of reaction to the bleach?

4. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    I bleach off my stand but never have used it on my goats...it's harsh on my skin, so there is no way I am using it twice daily on their udders...just my personal opinion.

I am wondering along with goathappy, that if your yearling is reacting to the bleach...

To wash my goaty udders, I first scrub with a dawn dish soap dilute; then put a vinegar rinse on afterwards. Then I milk. After I am done milking I use Udderly Smoothe. I have never had a problem, ever, with the zits you are speaking of...

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh that Udderly Smooth stuff is wonderful, works great on humans too! :D

6. La Oberhasli

La Oberhasli New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The pustules are not on her vagina. They are cemitrical on her udder, one cluster on each side. They are crusty and plug a pore, though it has been a few days and they really have gotten alot better with treatment with a topical antibiotic.

I am confident that it is a staph infection. I have seen it on my other animals.

Lots of people are critical of my using bleach directly on my goats udders. The fact remains that hospitals and vet offices use bleach to kill staph aureus, pseudomonas, gangrene, and even HIV. Bleach sterilizes upon contact. I stated above that I put glycerin in the wash and use udder balm.

There is bacteria that is resistant to vinegar and even the main ingredient in Fight Bac.

7. La Oberhasli

La Oberhasli New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Thanks! :D