Thoughts???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Aug 30, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok since the beginning of July I have been fighting this cough in my herd.

First it was a simple cough that went away like it was a cold (which it could easily have been just that) then one goat developed pneumonia and she responded immediately to the antibiotic LA 200. This was Sweet Pea (SP) on July 27th. No one else exhibited symptoms.

On August 12th about a week later, Lola and Mocha started to cough so I tried leaving it alone, tried treating for lung worms, tried giving Nutri Drench a couple times a day, tried that in combination with vitamin C, etc. Nothing worked. Then sweet pea added her cough to the chorus! THe girls were getting worse so I finally I gave all goats with cough a shot of LA 200 on August 15th

With in days all goats were better and we went to the show on August 22nd - it was dry for the rest of the week after a long period of rain.

3 days later on Tuesday the 25th, Lola and Mocha started with the cough again and Jitterbug decided to add hers too!!! Began treatment with LA 200 immediately. Yesterday Sweet Pea started to cough :hair:

This morning Mocha, Ziva and SP have thick snot. Mocha's was clearish-white as was Ziva's but SP's was a little on the yellow side. Jitterbug is fine but Lola still has the cough but not real bad just enough to be annoying.

Through this all Star and Angie have been healthy as all get out! What gives :shrug:

My mom suggested allergies. Why you ask? because they really dont have much of a temp and the weather here has been the craziest in all my 24 years!

First it is rainy and cold for months then it will be nice and warm for a couple days, return to rainy for days then cold then warm then rainy. I mean we have so much rain that we are over 7 inches over normal! Things grow in the night, mushrooms are just TERRIBLE and the hay on the ground by the feeder grows mold in an overnight! I cant keep up with it. Thank the Lord the barn is staying dry :thumb: I havent charted the weather to see if when they get sick is after a cold rainy spell but i wouldn't be surprised!

So I have Neomycin Oral Solution. Would you treat the coughing and snotty goats with that? or get a new bottle of LA 200/biomycin and start all over again :scratch:

OH temps are ranging in the norm at 103.2-103.6 but I still feel its a tad high for the morning and when they usually are in the 102.3 range

Mom stays allergies can cause a temp.

I have a cough and snotty feeling nose from time to time this year which is odd for me. And my coworker and her grandson have been hospitalized with asthma a couple times in the past 2 months! its a very bad year for people too.

I am at my whits end I am contemplating selling goats and keeping like 3-4 and that's it. :help:

2. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    When reading your post the first thing I thought of was allergies. My goats have been coughing. My husband and I have been having a tough time this year with our allergies. A couple of goats cough and sneeze when the hay comes out. I lightly mist water on it to cut down the dust. If you think that what ever this is is contagious it is a good idea to separate the ones that are coughing. Here is some info I found on the net:
    "Coughing usually indicates one of 4 things:
    --Choking on food. Some goats may be eager eaters, crowd together and fuss and stew; they tend to choke and cough and snort and sneeze and have an awful time.
    --Vitamin A deficiency (See "Deficiencies" section).
    --Allergies, dust, etc. Change feed, ignore for a while. There may be a lot of coughing during the late summer months as things tend to dry up and there is more dust in the environment."
    --Respiratory infection: Will probably also have sniffles most of the time. Can be bacterial, fungal, viral. Look to see if there are other symptoms. Coughing at feeding time is usually related to choking. Rub front of neck (brisket) and throat to see if you can elicit a cough by doing that. If she coughs again put your ear against the side of her ribs and try to listen to where any sounds are coming from. If it's an infection of the lungs, you will hear a watery rattling noise that is quite unmistakable.

I have a regular routine that I use for all our animals who develop respiratory infections. Day 1: LA200 at 4.5 ml IM per 100 lbs. Days 2, 3 and 4: LA200 at 2.25 ml IM per 100 lbs. If not all better, Days 5, 6 and 7: Tylan 200 at 4 ml IM per 100 lbs. If still not all better: Days 8, 9 and 10: Tylan 200 at 4 ml IM per 100 lbs (once per day) PLUS Penicillin Procaine G at 4 -5 ml IM per 100 lb twice per day 12 hours apart. If this doesn’t work, then either try sulfa boluses or consult with your vet about the possibility of a fungal infection. All of these remedies are accompanied by a liberal application of Vicks® around the nose and throat with a small amount placed on the back of the tongue. A good alternative to Vicks® is a product called VetRx® (nose drops) which can be obtained from online suppliers such as Jeffers.

If fungal, it takes a very special Rx from Vet. Nothing will help viral infections. Don’t be too hasty to doctor until you have a fairly good idea as to what you are dealing with But don't wait too long, because you then get to deal with pneumonia.

http://www.goatwisdom.com/ch8diseases/coughing.html

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thanks Sue I did try the VetRx but that didnt really help.

This cough stars off as a dry cough then turns flemmy and they cough in such force that their whole body racks :(

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I think I'm guilt Stacey.... :oops: brought the snotty nose cough to you. :sigh: But hey, now Sheila has the dry cough your guys had. So she is on another round of Agrimycin 200(oxytet). I would say we probably shared colds. Sorry! :sigh:

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nah I dont blame anyone -- it just is.

So if it is the cold your girls had what did you use to help them? just trying to gather ideas. Gonna go to TSC tomorrow if I can if I get ideas for stuff I dont have

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I used Biomycin, but when I ran out I just when with Agrimycin 200 which is Oxytetracycline.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It has been going around bigtime in this area..... a lady that I talked to that has been breeding dairy goats for a long time said that I needed nuflor and that I needed to give banimine with it t oreduce the risk of lung scarring. Here it will be 90+ degrees in the day and 50 at night and then go to pouring rain and 60 during the daqy and 40 at night - then the very next day back to 90+ It has been crazy!

8. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    i know this is a bit of a mad suggestion, :roll:
    but if it is a cold it might work, ditto for some worms,
    have you thought of Garlic extract?
    we are certified organic so (my goat's weren't) but we run sheep also which are,so we have to be careful with what we use like it's got to be all natural!
    So we have used garlic extract for worm with a good success rate (barber pole that is)
    and knowing garlic is good for cold in ppl i wondered if it might work,
    just a thought,
    hope you can sort it out :)

9. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Just a thought ....have you considered lungworm or ruled it out. This usually has just the cough symptom and no nasal discharge. The weather has been wet all over the country and it might just be some form of cold.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes I did treat all of them for lungworms - this is certainly a cold or something more serious.

Now Angie who has been fine through all this has the snotts real bad and a cough :GAAH: so that rules out allergies. :sigh:

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey......wish I could give you a magical answer, but as you know I had such issues with my new little guys after bringing the one home with pnuemonia early spring......they had really bad coughs for months, I tried everything that has been suggested here with no cure...I kept check on their temps and gave them supportive supplements...finally one day I just noticed the cough was gone! Now since we are having the cold nights my one lttile guy that had the pnuemonia so bad is back to coughing a bit in the morning :shrug: ......I know how frustrating it is. One thing I did do was call and talked with Anne Hoegger, she suggested the Bovi Sera they sell and I gave it, I can not say that it helped, but they did quit coughing within a week or so after giving it......maybe worth looking into.
    Hang in there, Denise

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would get a nasal swab and get it tested for Pasturella. The way it is coming and going reminds me of the experience in Goat Sense (Teresa's I think it was?) Couldn't hurt to get it done, just to see.

13. JoanRandolph

JoanRandolph New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Stacy,

FYI- I treated all my goats for coccidia with sulmet. And just as I hoped, Gus' (Zador) cough has cleared up. Don't know if it is related or if his new environment has helped. Thought I would throw this info out there. Hope your guys get well soon.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thanks -- glad to hear he is better. I think I have a new strain so it needs a tougher antibiotic then like sulmet but thats good to know the antibiotic helped.

15. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Hey all, this is a common thing out where I am and we fight it every time we go to a fair or a show. According to what I can gather from my vets, it's most likely Pasteurella. Past. is often present in the goat's mucosa naturally, but doesn't really bother them until it gets "out of control," when their immune system is down or they are stressed -- hence, it's often called shipping fever 'cuz they get it after being moved.

Becasue Past is bacterial, they can keep getting reinfected and infect everyone at home. I find most often it's my babies or my "pets" that never leave the yard that seem to come down with it when the others come back from a show. It can sound like a dry cough or as it worsens, it can really get snotty and wet sounding. I lost a baby to it last year when her joints became septic from the bacteria... heartbreaking. You can use a tetracycline or one of the "biggies" such as Nuflor or Baytril; I don't htink the pens will kick it. And you'll have to treat the whole herd, most likely as well as disinfect their dishes if you can -- put them out in the sun or bleach or whatever. Treat for a week with the anitbiotics and see if you can just KILL IT DEAD (the bacteria) I wouoln't use an oral Neomycin as that will just strip their guts of everything (my vets against that) good and bad.

And NO you're not getting rid of your goaties!

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Just curious but you mentioned that Star and Angie are the only ones not affected by this? Star came from Teresa's herd, right? She would have been vaccinated for Pasteurella. Was Angie?

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Nope, Angie isn't vaccinated for that and neither was her dam.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well Angie is coughing and has the snotts and seems to be the only one who actually is acting "off" when sick so I feel bad for her. But she is nibbling at food just not that into it right now.

I will have ot see if Star was vaccinated -- good point

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey....so sorry you having to deal with your girls feeling bad......it is sooo frustrating when they aren't well! :hug:
    Hang in there, Denise

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    right now I am just taking it in stride. I am only giving Angie Oxytet out of the bunch as she is the only one who is acting off.

I am taking temps each morning and so far everyone seems fine basically (a tad low actually but nothing to harmful)