Three breedings and not yet settled

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sungoats, Dec 29, 2007.

1. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    I have had my Alpine doe bred on three consecutive heat cycles. She just came into season again. I watched all three breedings and I'm sure she was bred. She was bred to the same buck as last year (one breeding) and this will be only her 2nd freshening. I read posts on this forum about others who have had does come back into heat after they were bred. What are the odds??? Her cycles have been very regular at about 17-18 days. The buck has successfully settled other does, so I'm pretty sure the problem would be with my doe. She is fed a good alfalfa/timothy mix hay, has access to a mineral block, is given grain at every milking and is wormed with Hoeggers Herbal Wormer once a week (as per instructions). She appears to be in good weight. Does anyone have any thoughts about what I should do?

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

You may be surprised that she may already be bred. We had doe that continued to come into heat 18 to 20 days. She did this from october to january. She surprised us with triplets at the end of february. So obviously she had been bred a lot of that time. She may also be picky about her buck. Some does just don't like the buck and won't breed to him. I had a nubian doe for three years, ran with a lamncha buck a nubian buck an alpine buck and a pygmy buck, all proven. she never settled for me. I sold her to another lady telling her my problems with her. She kidded the next year with triplet bucks. We determined that she was just buck picky.
    You can send a blood sample into bio tracking for about eight dollars, they will run a pregnancy test that is about 95% acurate. if she isn't pregnent you will know and can go from ther. and you arn't out a lot of money.
    beth

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Does the hoegger's wormer have wormwood in it? If it does, that has been known to cause abortions.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    How far would she be if bred? An ultrasound may help if she's far enough along.Around here an ultrasound is only $10.

5. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Here's an UPDATE!!!

I checked out Goathappy's idea that the Hoeggers Wormer had wormwood in it --- FIRST INGREDIENT!!! So I took her off of it and did not try to breed her in the next season.

Sooo.... I got a call from the owner of the buck and she told me the does he had bred that she thought had settled all came back into season.
    She had access to his son from last year and we did a breeding last week with him.

At this point, she will be off the Hoeggers Wormer. As badly as I felt that she didn't settle, I felt so bad for the buck's owner because I only had one doe that didn't get pregnant - she had about a dozen!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Now we can just keep our fingers crossed that she becomes a mommy on June 14th!!!

6. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    U know sungoats. I have use herbal wormer from Heogger before I started to make my own herbal wormer and sells them. My goats didnt have abortion from wormwood. My mother in law's goats was on hoegger goat wormer for 11 years and no problems either...

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yes, but there have been many cases of abortions with wormwood so it is best to just not use it. Every goat will react differently to it.

8. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    I've decided to keep her off of it until the babies arrive. If something happens I'll be wondering if I could have prevented it by withholding the wormer. I'll know in a couple of weeks if she comes back into season. The wait is killing me!!! :hair:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh boy I hope the two changes help her chances and all goes well for your kidding future.