The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the goats we brought home for someone else has three small bumps on his leg. He also appears to be loosing his hair and he still has his winter coat! What should I do does he have CL!!!!???? D: any advice is appreciated! We do NOT want ANY diseases in our herd!!! Btw he is only in contact with one other goat my nigerian dwarf buckling and that's because neither of them are strong enough to be in with the other bucks.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
No, he does not have CL. CL abscesses develop only lymph nodes/glands, and there are none in the legs. Also, CL rarely develops more than one abscess. I would be more inclined to think either bites of some kind or he got into a sticker/cactus patch. Sandburs, buffalo burrs, thorns, etc are all tall enough to get stuck in his leg and break off. Another possibility is slivers.

Usually foreign body abscesses burst, drain and heal. You might want to give some thought to having your vet clean them out when they are ready, though, because occasionally the foreign body is not expelled when the abscess bursts.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I forgot to tell you that Goat Rancher magazine ran an article about the San Clemente goats last month. They are beautiful! It was a neat article.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to tell you that Goat Rancher magazine ran an article about the San Clemente goats last month. They are beautiful! It was a neat article.
Really!? Wow that's awesome:D I think I heard about that somewhere. We san Clemente breeders can use all the advertisement we can get:)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It was truly amazing how many people from different states all over the country teamed up to help save the remaining goats. I thought that was very cool!

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Those look like they are probably bug bites on his legs, for his coat I would do a fecal a worm him accordingly, copper bolus him and start brushing that old hair off. It also wouldn't hurt to give him some BOSS to help make his coat a little shinier. If it isn't getting too cold where you are at night I would just clip him rather than brush it out so he can start a new, healthy winter coat.

After he is clipped, it probably wouldn't hurt to get some betadine scrub and wash him with that, put it on and leave it for about 10 minutes then rinse off this will help clear up any infections in those bug bites if there are any. I had a horse who would get eaten by mosquitoes and this really helped the bites to heal. Also get some fly spray and keep him sprayed down so the bugs don't bother him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts