The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new here so please forgive me if my terminology is a bit off still :) We have had two Nigerian Dwarf Pygmy cross does for almost two years now. A few days ago we had our new buck delivered to our house and was with his brother as a companion on the drive. Long story short we got the little fella for free because he is a gimp. His hind leg tendon is too short/tight? So his hind hoof is pretty much tucked right under him. My does took to the new buck right away but are really bullying this poor guy. They won't let him eat and my husband said last night that were pounding on him while he was laying on the ground. What do I do?! Will this diminish? I have him separated right now. I feel so bad for this poor guy. He's really stolen my heart.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Introducing any goat to an established herd is always challenging. Did you keep his brother as well? . I'd keep them separate from the does but within sight of each other for a bit while they get used to the sight and smells of each other then put him in. There's always going to be a pecking order fights but if he's really disadvantaged I'd supervise it closely till things settle down. I'd also add additional feeders so there's always an open one he can go to if he gets pushed away from one, same with water buckets.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Oh, that's mean! Pounding him while he's laying down not bothering anyone is a bad sign. Does he get along well with his brother? If so, I would house the two of them separately and when you need to use the buck for breeding, put him in with the does for a couple of hours to do his job and then put him back with his three-legged buddy. It's possible that once your gimpy guy gets older and bigger he will learn to hold his own, but for now you can't risk him getting hurt. His buck brother may eventually start defending the little guy, but right now with everything being new and the buck being in rut, he may be too distracted to protect his buddy.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Pounding him while he's laying down not bothering anyone is a bad sign.
Yep. I've only ever seen goats do that when they knew the other goat was sick/weak/dying and this was their attempt to kill the other goat.....goat herd hierarchy is brutal!

I think keeping him with his brother separate is a good idea too.

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
Are you going to keep the buck with the does 24/7? I would not recommend this.

Are you trying to breed the does now?
If so, you will have to remove the wether to an area where he is near the others and can see them. But safe.

If you are not breeding now, remove both of them to a different area, away from the does, not sharing a fence. Unless, it has a hot line.

For the wether's leg, try to brace his leg, to where it has a little stretch to it, not hurting him but, have a bit of tension(stretch) within his comfort zone, so the tendon can naturally stretch out.
Not too much each time, to try to straighten it back, maybe try weekly to remove the brace and see if the leg can be stretched a bit more or not. If it can, repeat bracing, but a bit more. If it can't be stretched more, wait another week before attempting more stretch. That is if it is short as you say.
If you do wrap and brace it, make sure it isn't too tight, to cut off circulation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice! Sorry it took so long to get back on here. Yes we are breeding right now. With the advice here and some research I think our best course of action is to keep our gimpy buddy close but cutoff from the other three during the day and bringing his brother in with him at night. His leg is currently wrapped to hopefully stretch his leg out. I brought him back in the pin today with the others to see what happens with supervision and he was greeted like they were worried about where he went. But the second I left his side he got knocked down

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
You are welcome.
Sounds like a plan.
The poor guy. :(

Did you wrap it to where it is slightly stretching the area? And not too tight?
I would think about maybe smooth sticks in the area so it may stretch it?
Hope fully though, the way it is wrapped will do the trick, good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts