Three month old doeling with leaky eyes that are NOT pink eye

Discussion in 'TGS Announcements & Help' started by PineHill Hobby Farm, Mar 16, 2018.

1. PineHill Hobby Farm

PineHill Hobby Farm New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Hi,
    We have some three month doelings that have leaky eyes. They do NOT have pink eye because last year we had pink eye, so we know how it looks like. They are also a bit under the weather more or less. :( Do any of you what it is and how to treat it?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    It might just be a cold. My girls have had gooby, leaky eyes. I would try giving them each 1/2 a chewable vitamin C twice a day (250 mg per dose). It tastes great - so it should be easy to get them to take it. Then I'd gently wipe their eye area with either an antibacterial wipie or a paper towel dipped (and wrung out) in original Listerine. Use a clean area for each eye and a completely new wipe/paper towel for each goat.

If they have any runny noses or nose goobers, you can also wipe those with the wipes and then give a drop or 2 of vet-rx in each nostril.

3. PineHill Hobby Farm

Mar 11, 2018
    Thank you for your reply. I gave them vitamin C and dry red raspberry leaf, but about putting drops of vet-Rx in the nose is new information and using the antibacterial wipe is nice to know. One more thing, our doelings are growing very slowly. I gave them pure milk up until they were one month old. When they were one month old, we all got really sick with the flu and could not milk the milking does as often as we usually do. After we recovered, we didn't, of course, didn't get as much milk as we did before. I started mixing store bought cows milk into the goat's milk and I also cooked steel cut oats and added it to their milk[I sometimes gave them molasses]... because there was not enough milk for them. At first, they were doing great, putting on weight and growing quickly. But then they gradually started slowing down and now they almost stopped growing. It might be due to the hay because before their hay was with alfalfa hay but when it ran out I changed to just second cut grass hay. Do you have any suggestions? We all are still new to all this[we bought our goats a year ago] and we love them and want them to be as healthy as possible. Right now the doelings are still on the bottle. In about two weeks, a couple of other goats will kid so we will have a bit more milk. Do you think if I give the three-month-old doelings pure goats milk, do you think they will regain their growth rate?
    Thank you!!!

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Have you had a fecal done? They are at prime age for coccidia. Being "slow to grow" is a red flag to me.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  5. PineHill Hobby Farm

Mar 11, 2018
    How do I do a fecal test on my goats? {Sorry I am completely new to this}.

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Take some poop to your vet. Ask them to check for worms and coccidia.

7. PineHill Hobby Farm

Mar 11, 2018
    Thank you, we should do this.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice,

When my kids get runny goopy eye's.
    I draw up some PenG, remove needle and put a couple of drops in the eye for a few days.

9. PineHill Hobby Farm

Mar 11, 2018
    I looked up PenG but couldn't find what it means. Is it a short term for something?

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. PineHill Hobby Farm

Mar 11, 2018
    Hi,
    We have another problem:(... and for us to call a vet in is not affordable at this time. I am looking for advice from experienced goat keepers. Here is a picture of one of worst doeling's ears close up: S0166683.JPG
    DSCF6668.JPG
    She is a Sannen and she was all white before. Patches of hair are also falling out. Today we put Diatomaceous earth on her but we don't know if it will help. We are wondering if we can use Colloidal Silver spray. Please let us know what will work quickly and effectively.
    Thank you all.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. PineHill Hobby Farm

Mar 11, 2018
    Do you know how to treat?

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Nu-stock directly on the ears after you remove the scabs, especially the first time. Go by instructions.

Ivomec injectable SQ, 1 cc per 40 lbs, 3 x 10 days apart.

Eprinex can also treat against mites as a pour on.
    1 cc per 22 lbs along the topline.

16. PineHill Hobby Farm

Mar 11, 2018
    Okay, update: Our doelings are doing way better and growing. We gave them extra milk and we also sprayed their ears and coats with an anti-worm/mites spray and they are doing well.:)

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California