The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help!
I have a 6 year old who delivered on 3/17 and subsequently developed a bad case of mastitis for which I have been treating with Oxytocin, Resflor Gold, Today Paste, Banamine, Penicilin, etc. She lost 15 lbs but her appetite and energy is slowly increasing and the udder is slowly recovering. Her temp is still in the 102-103 range so I do Nuflor or Resflor Gold every few days and Penicilin in between. She was also limping on the front right foot for about a week. (?? not sure what caused that)
I have a 7 year old who delivered on 3/20 and 10 days later she had quite a bit of vaginal bleeding (no odor, but 103.2 fever). I gave her Luthalyse and Nuflor. Her temp came down and stayed down until April 4th. Since then it's been in mid 102°. This morning i noticed she was panting heavily and her temp was 102 so I gave her Resflor Gold. This evening her temp was 103.7 and she is panting heavily (appetite is good, no discharge, no odor, no other symptoms).
Just for kicks I checked another doe who was panting heavily this evening (a 1 year old who delivered on 3/25). Her temp was 104.1 but her appetite, energy level all is good and she has no discharge, not lethargic, not depressed.
WHAT IS GOING ON????? I am in north Georgia and today we had 74° and partly sunny. I understand hot weather could cause them to overheat & pant but why the fever??? Is this a true fever? Am I over-reacting? Could I have an epidemic?

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Help!
I have a 6 year old who delivered on 3/17 and subsequently developed a bad case of mastitis for which I have been treating with Oxytocin, Resflor Gold, Today Paste, Banamine, Penicilin, etc. She lost 15 lbs but her appetite and energy is slowly increasing and the udder is slowly recovering. Her temp is still in the 102-103 range so I do Nuflor or Resflor Gold every few days and Penicilin in between.
I have a 7 year old who delivered on 3/20 and 10 days later she had quite a bit of vaginal bleeding (no odor, but 103.2 fever). I gave her Luthalyse and Nuflor. Her temp came down and stayed down until April 4th. Since then it's been in mid 102°. This morning i noticed she was panting heavily and her temp was 102 so I gave her Resflor Gold. This evening her temp was 103.7 and she is panting heavily (appetite is good, no discharge, no odor, no other symptoms).
Just for kicks I checked another doe who was panting heavily this evening (a 1 year old who delivered on 3/25). Her temp was 104.1 but her appetite, energy level all is good and she has no discharge, not lethargic, not depressed.
WHAT IS GOING ON????? I am in north Georgia and today we had 74° and partly sunny. I understand hot weather could cause them to overheat & pant but why the fever??? Is this a true fever? Am I over-reacting? Could I have an epidemic?
What do you think a normal goat temp is? Normal goat temp is 102-103.

Giving an antiobiotic " every few days"... no no no. Do the full course like you are supposed to or not at all. What does this mastitis doe get currently? You have a LOT of stuff listed...

How much bleeding was the doe doin? They do clean out for a few weeks after birth. Why did you give lute?

Panting... they are most likely just a bit warm from the weather. They have probably not shed their winter fluff uet and that warm is makin them hot.

Have you had a vet out or are you just trying everything that you read to maybe do for what you think is wrong with these does? All of them need probios from all the antiobiotics you are dumping in them. Their rumens have got to be screamin by now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am doing this under a vet's supervision and i keep detailed records of all the meds I give them (per vet). Since Resflor Gold and Nuflor should not be given daily, I gave Penicilin on the off days until the fever was consistently down. But then a few days later it went up again.
I've had goats (Saanen mix) for 8 years and their normal temp is usually 101-102 during this time of the year. Anything above 102.5 i would consider a fever especially on a cool morning with frost on the ground. The 7 year old I've had since she was a baby and watched her deliver every spring so I am quite familiar with the amount of her post-partum cleaning, that's why i was concerned this time around. The Lute and Antibiotic I gave per vet.
The only thing I haven't done yet is the probios.
That still doesn't explain why the 1 year old who appears to be perfectly healthy measured 104.1° this evening.

·
Super Moderator
58,178 Posts
Normal temp is 101.5 to 103.5. Are the goats out in the sun all day? Have you offered electrolyte water along with plain water? Did your vet advise you on how you are using antibiotics?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They are in the sun but they also have shade and a very large barn so they can come and go as they please. I did put electrolyte in their water for the past 2 days and I have another trough with plain water. Yes, the vet wrote instructions on every bottle (frequency, quantity, IM/SQ).

I understand that the 6 year old may take a while to recover from mastitis, but i don't understand why the 7 year old is panting and had 103.7 this evening and the most puzzling is the 1 year old with 104.1 while she appears perfectly healthy and energetic (except for the panting)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts