The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
It's my understanding that they don't throw up, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I don't think so. I've heard that they can only regurgitate like horses. I'm pretty sure this is true, because whenever one of our chokes on the feed or anything (usually cause they're gobbling it so fast, lol :) ), they'll choke up foam and cough a lot, but never actually throw up.

·
14,456 Posts
She might sputter & sling foam if she ate too fast but not actually throw up & empty the rumen it is physically impossible.
And rarely do they even lose cud.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
One of mine jumped out one day (she scaled a 4ft fence) when we first got goats and found her way into a rhododendron (that was clear across the property and fenced off :/ ) Luckily she didn't seem to get much and our vet was able to help her, but she did seem to throw up some stuff before the vet came.. Or at least I guess she was throwing up. Thank god she's okay today though and got her wagon fixed with taller and stronger fencing.

·
Premium Member
28,343 Posts
yes they can throw up - it happens when they eat something toxic

Had my fair share and hope it never happens again. Once with hay and a couple times with them getting a hold of toxic plant in the brush they were eating that I didnt see

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Stacy
Everyone else I know what y'all are talking about. My horse did that :/ its can actually be deadly (i know first hand) its something called choke.
That's why I was wondering.
I haven't had it happen just thought about it today. Thanks for yalla replies.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Goats with internal abscesses from CL can do something called throwing their cud.

·
2,180 Posts
What age are we talking?

If we're talking kids, it's very unusual for them to do so. I, too had a kid die from enterotoxemia , pneumonia, and FKS complications. The cards were stacking against us. He actually during the last few breaths relaxed, the muscles relaxed, and he ended up expelling some curdled milk (which we knew was in there). He essentially drown. Poor guy.

What color? White? Green? Looks like hay?

We usually have a couple cows "cough up" their cud on a regular basis. The cud balls appear light green in color and basically look like processed hay. They smell as well (as to be expected).

They can throw up, yes.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My lamb died from choking about a month ago, horrible, horrible experience. I was so ignorant and helpless.
I feel the same was about my horse :/ we didn't think it was bad enough to get a vet out and when it did get really bad it was to late to get a vet out and they wouldn't have been able to do anything.
But sometimes ignorance is what we need to help us learn but it may not always end the way we want

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.