Thumbelina ... I lost her. Now her sister is sick also

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Aug 6, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Something is wrong with Thumbelina ...

she's a bit incoordinated today, falling down every so often when she's walking around. She's also a bit lethargic.

She's still drinking her bottles no problems. She has a bit of a milk scour. Her breathing has the slightest wheeze to it, so I'm thinking pneumonia.

I'm honest to God, really really scared. Petrified. Almost 2 mths ago I lost a bottle kid to pleuropneumonia - and the first signs of that were that he fell over. That happened before his breathing got bad. There was absolutely no saving that kid. His lungs were a decaying mess that had adhered to his rib cage.

I'm so scared that she has the same thing. I am ridiculously attached to this little baby, in a way that I've never been before. I love her to death. I dont know if I can take it if she dies.

I've given her a shot of oxytetracycline. And rugged her up on a hot water bottle, cos she was shivering.

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Re: Thumbelina ... I'm scared

oh no Keren, I really hope she's ok *hugs*

You've done the right thing, keep her warm now and see what happens.

Praying she will be ok!

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008

I dont think there's much hope for her :tears:

Less than 2 hrs later she has gone rapidly downhill to the point where she is unconscious, unresponsive to any sort of stimuli. Her neck is arching backwards towards her spine, and she is also weaving her head side to side. She is unable to stand.

Temp is 101.84 F

I'm at a loss as to what to do for her and what is wrong with her. Its just so sudden. I've been bawling my eyes out.
  4. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas

could it be polio?
  5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008

I'm wondering about the possibility of floppy kid syndrome?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007

oh Keren I am so sorry -- possibly enterotoxemia? do you have CD antitoxin?
  7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008

if it IS entero there is nothing I can do about it because we dont get the antitoxin here :sigh:

I've given her some bicarb soda since the symptoms fit pretty well for fks ...
  8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007

How old is she? Her neck arching towards her back is a sure sign of polio. do you have any thiamin?
  9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008

she's 5 days ... wouldnt that be a bit early for polio?

no thiamine until the morning, its 11pm here :(
  10. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN

This sounds like selenium deficiency to me, I'd shoot her up with BoSe ASAP and give some bicarb for good measure! You might still be able to turn her around.
  11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

NO it is NOT to early for FKS. I have heard it hitting at 5 days a lot lately.

FKS usually doesn't occur until the kid is seven to ten days old. (An exception to this time frame -- bottle babies -- is cited later in this article.) The kid literally overeats on milk on a repeated basis and is unable to fully digest the milk before it refills its stomach by nursing again, creating a toxic condition like Enterotoxemia (Overeating Disease). Untreated, a painful and rapid death occurs. Treatment must be swift to save the kid.

The solution is startlingly simple -- and usually the precise opposite of what producers probably think should be done. Take the kid off milk completely for at least 36 hours. Substitute ReSorb or equivalent electrolytes in place of milk and add baking soda to neutralize the conditions in the kid's stomach. Administer C&D anti-toxin (*not* the toxoid) immediately. Use Milk of Magnesia to push the partially-digested milk through the kid's system and out of the kid's body. Prescription Banamine, given injectably, will calm the gut; dosage is 2/10th's of a cc given IM for a young kid of a medium-sized breed. Because most FKS kids are wobbly-legged and stagger like they are drunk, tube feeding may be necessary.

Dissolve one teaspoon of ordinary baking soda in eight (8) ounces of warmed ReSorb electrolytes and mix thoroughly. If the kid will not suck a bottle, stomach tube two ounces (60 cc's) of this solution into the kid's stomach. Wait about an hour and tube feed another two ounces. Don't bloat the kid's stomach; use common sense about how much it can hold. Administer a SQ injection of six (6) to eight (8) cc's of C&D anti-toxin wherever loose skin can be found. SQ injection over the ribs is a good location. C&D anti-toxin helps counteract the toxic effect of the undigested milk in the kid's stomach and can be used every twelve (12) hours. If the kid is old enough to have already had its two-injection series of CD/T vaccinations, the producer will have to wait at least five days and start the CD/T series over again. However, a very young kid should not have received its first and second CD/T injections before one month and two months of age respectively. The dam's immunities passed to the kid via mother's milk are supposed to protect the kid during its first month of life, at which time the kid's own immune system starts developing.

Because Floppy Kid Syndrome is accompanied by a bacterial infection in the kid's gut, antibiotic therapy is advisable. Obtain a vet prescription for Primor or Sulfadimethoxazine with Trimethoprim and orally medicate for five consecutive days. Dose the kid with Milk of Magnesia orally (five cc's per 20 pounds bodyweight) to speed the elimination of the undigested milk from its body. Mineral oil can be effective but must be stomach-tubed into the goat. Because mineral oil has no taste, the goat may not identify it as a substance to be swallowed and it can be aspirated into the lungs instead. A warm soapy enema can be given to remove hard-packed feces from the lower intestinal tract via the anus; however, an enema will not move undigested milk from the stomach.

Diarrhea sometimes occurs with FKS. This is good; the kid's body is trying to eliminate toxic substances. Do not use diarrhea medication unless the scouring is a liquid of watery consistency, threatening dehydration, and be very careful how much anti-diarrheal is given under such conditions. Diarrhea is a symptom of an illness -- not the illness itself. See this writer's article on Diarrhea on the Articles page. Never give Immodium AD to a goat. Immodium AD slows and sometimes stops the peristaltic action of the gut, immobilizing the undigested milk in the kid's stomach, making the situation worse. The producer's goal is to get the offending milk out of the kid's system quickly. If diarrhea becomes watery, orally dose the kid with up to six (6) to ten (10) cc's of PeptoBismol up to three times a day and use injectable Banamine to quiet the gut.

The ReSorb/baking soda solution will both rehydrate the kid and soothe its gut. A kid can survive on the Resorb/baking soda solution for several days if that time is needed to get its system cleaned out. Do not start feeding milk again until the kid's feces have returned to normal pill form, it can stand and nurse, and the kid has been re-hydrated. Then ease the kid back onto milk by feeding equal parts milk and electrolytes
  12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008

She's still alive, and quiet, warm and comfy. No improvement. :(
  13. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008

I have no help to offer but am really hoping she turns around. Sorry.
  14. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Poor baby. I am thinking of her.
  15. Re: Thumbelina ... I'm scared

Keren, has the blood sugar crossed your mind? I know a gal that had this happen and it was diabetes in her goat.
    Just a thought? My heart is with you, keep us posted. :pray:
  16. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Oh gosh, i'm so sorry to hear this. I have no experience with that so can't really help, but sending good thoughts and prayers for this little one. :pray:
  17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I am so sorry this has happened to your precious little one, I can't offer any more than what has already been said...I hope she comes around :hug:
  18. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

Aw...Keren: I'll be praying that little Thumbelina will make it. :pray: I really hope she does... :hug: :tears:
  19. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008

She passed :tears:

Thank you all for the prayers and kind words.

I gave her everything I could think of, I did my best. But it doesnt stop it hurting. It hurts like he11.

It has been suggested that maybe there was a heart/lung defect, so there was nothing to be done for it. Maybe that would explain why she was so little at birth.

I dont know.

She was such an amazing little kid; first I was amazed that she was actually alive when I found her lying there, so tiny and not moving. Then, I was amazed that she lived past a few hours. She was such a strong, vibrant little kid. She bounced around all over the place. I actually took her out and about with me, the day before yesterday, as I had several appointments, and she just charmed everyone.

Her sister and brother are doing well; what on earth I am going to do with her sister now, I dont know. I only pulled her off the mum to bottle feed, so that Thumbelina would have company; I dont like raising single kids. Ironically I am now stuck with feeding a single kid. And ironically, Effie (the sister) is a paint and so I cant show her. Thumbelina was a perfectly marked traditional.

This sucks
  20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008

:tears: :hug: I am so sorry you lost her. I've been following the thread but didn't know what else to add. :hug: