Tick Issue...What To Do?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Laura Currie, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Laura Currie

Laura Currie New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I am a new goat mom and I just got 3 of my 5 babies a few days ago. They are doing great but I'm introducing them to their larger pasture but have an issue. This larger pasture which has a lot of "toys" and a loafing shed with food and water for them also has a lot of ticks in it. It has been so hot and dry and this is the worst it has been for us with ticks. We had them in the pasture for 10 minutes yesterday and we picked 4 ticks off of 1 goat. Two are 12 weeks old and one is 10 weeks. Thoughts or suggestions on safe tick management? Thanks so much!

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Is the grass pretty tall?

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Grass has to be 3" or less to get rid of ticks. You wouldn't normally mow it that low but it would be worth it to get rid of them.

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Ultraboss cattle pour on claims to kill ticks. It is safe to use on goats, I don't have the dosage right in front of me here, I'll have to look it up.

wndngrvr likes this.
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Aren't there some sort of chicken that eats ticks. (I'm not up on my fowl knowledge)

Maybe mow low and then hopefully the ticks will go away. The goats are pretty young to put any fly spray on them. We used to use Avon' "Skin So Soft" on our horses to repel bugs. When I lived in Missouri, ticks were everywhere and the horses legs would get covered. Skin so soft really helped. Do they still make it?

6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    When ticks get that bad I use flea/tick collars (the ones made for dogs) on my goats. They work very well in situations like this where you have a heavy infestation and only a few goats to protect.

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I used to have a big tick problem until I started feeding garlic. I’ve actually watched ticks hop on, and then jump right off while the goats are on garlic. It’s amazing!! Haven’t seen one latch on in 2 years!!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Apply 1.5 mL per 50 lbs along the topline. ;)

SalteyLove likes this.
  9. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    At our old property, we were heavily wooded and the ticks were HORRIBLE!
    Over the years, we had 2 people, 2 dogs, a turkey & a goat get very ill from "bad" tick bites. You take a few steps in the woods and they'd be all over you.

Chickens did help keep the ticks down but they didn't go back into the heavy woods. I ended up having to use CyLence every month on the goats during the peak of it. I would also spray their shelter, lounging areas, common/heavy used paths with permethrins. It helped immensely!

10. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    My vet who has been a long-standing goat owner said that goats can't contract Lyme Disease. He also lives in an area where there are lots of ticks, both dog and deer ticks. Anyone hear of this? It did provide me some relief since my goats are in forested areas, although we have a lot of guineas and they do a fantastic job with the ticks in our area.

11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I have heard that they cannot get it, though I’m not 100% positive - as I don’t think anyone really can be!!

12. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Even if goats can't get Lyme, humans and dogs and other species can, so it's important to try to keep your goats from being tick carriers.

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. Laura Currie

Laura Currie New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks everyone! We keep it mowed like our yard since it is on the side of our driveway. It's just an unusually hot, dry summer and the ticks are bad. I turned out my free rangers today so we'll se if they will help out any. They love all insects and worms! I've been brushing the kids also, to help get them used to being handled so that helps. I included a picture of part of the pasture.

Attached Files:

14. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Lymes is just one TBD. There are others, that can & do effect goats. Been there done that!

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I will have to disagree on goats not getting LYME disease. They can and do get Lyme disease from ticks. My friend had a doe die from it. It is documented through Ohio State Univ. vet school.

It is not as common in goats as other animals, but can occur in heavy infestations.

16. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We use horse fly spray (UltraShield) when ticks get bad. It seems to work well and can safely be used on the babies. It will also take care of lice.

It’s pretty awful to cuddle with baby goats only to feel ticks crawling on you later. I really hate ticks.