The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ticks are bad this year. I've plucked some off my Nubians' ears already and our barn cat is starting to get them bad. ( We live bordering the woods) We have plucked a tick off the cat every week for the past few weeks. I'm looking for safe remedies or solutions, whether it is over the counter or something natural I can use. Flea and tick collars on pets scares me, it doesn't seem safe and it's another thing a cat can get stuck on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dawn dish soap. The blue concentrated kind. At the shelter I work at, every animal gets a Dawn bath before intake and you can literally see the fleas jumping off and dying. It brings the ticks to the surface, kills them, and we just pluck them off and put them in a bowl of Dawn to be extra sure they're dead before flushing them down the toilet. It's safe to use on puppies and kittens too young for flea medication and the only negative is that it is slightly drying to the skin, but 2 baths in a weeks span is perfectly fine and it'll get all those buggies off without using harmful chemicals. Sometimes I'll give them an oatmeal bath a few days after the Dawn treatment if their skin seems real dry. Please don't use flea collars, I've seen so many cases of chemical burns on pets due to these, and if they lick it or scratch the collar and then lick their paws it is poison to them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dawn dish soap. The blue concentrated kind. At the shelter I work at, every animal gets a Dawn bath before intake and you can literally see the fleas jumping off and dying. It brings the ticks to the surface, kills them, and we just pluck them off and put them in a bowl of Dawn to be extra sure they're dead before flushing them down the toilet. It's safe to use on puppies and kittens too young for flea medication and the only negative is that it is slightly drying to the skin, but 2 baths in a weeks span is perfectly fine and it'll get all those buggies off without using harmful chemicals. Sometimes I'll give them an oatmeal bath a few days after the Dawn treatment if their skin seems real dry. Please don't use flea collars, I've seen so many cases of chemical burns on pets due to these, and if they lick it or scratch the collar and then lick their paws it is poison to them.
that's what I use on my dogs/rabbits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts