Ticks!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I guess it is that time of year, our area is always bad with ticks. I have not had a tick on me in 2 years, ever since our chickens were old enough to free range. But I had a tick on me this morning, and it pretty much had to have come from the goats. How do you keep your goats tick free? We frontline our dogs and cats and occassionally spray permethrin on the horses if they are having a problem, but what about goats?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my goats rarely get ticks and im not sure why -- I dont have any answers on how to keep ticks off them other then to just check around the eyes and ears for ticks (thats where they target goats) and around the udder attachment area.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...I never seen them on my goats...

get permectrin II... here is a link... it covers ticks... you can get it from a feed store or other places... this link just tells all the detail... of what it covers... :wink:
    http://www.atozvetsupply.com/Permectrin ... erm-11.htm

4. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Its our area, my horse never had a tick on him in OH, but in our area of KS we have to spray, same for the dogs and cats, we used to only treat for fleas, but now we have to treat for ticks as well.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmmm... my dogs do get a tick here and there...but...I never seen them on my goats and they are in the same area.... :scratch:

Are the ticks actually latching onto your goats?

Sorry you are having an issue with them... :(

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't normally see engorged ticks on my goats but do find them crawling on them as well as tick bites...I use the Bronco horse spray on my goats as a repellant, has worked very well with keeping the ticks from attaching.

7. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I mix my own horse spray

Apple Cider Vinegar
    Citronella Oil
    little bit of Ivory dish soap
    Body oil

And if I'm having problems I also will put in permethrin.

Would this be OK to put on the goats?

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't see any problem with using the home made mix on the goats, I think the Bronco spray I use has permethrin as the main ingredient with citronella.

9. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks! I didn't know if it would be alright especially when she starts milking??

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use the horse spray throughout the summer months, though it takes just one thorough soaking in May to keep the bugs away, I do avoid the eyes, nose and teats, and I wash the udder well before I milk after spraying them.

11. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    You may want to use caution when using the Bronco if you have barn cats. Permethrin is harmful to cats. We did have a lot of ticks on our goats last year. They left small raised bumps that were crusty. We pulled several that were feeding but they seemed to prefer our barn cats and our LGDs.