Tilda kidded. This is our last kidding until March : (

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by all1965, Dec 14, 2008.

1. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    Well Tilda gave us twin girls today. She is the last one of ours until March. This was the first time she has kidded in 22 months. She had a vaginal prolapse with her last kidding so we gave her a good long break and so far so good. We wanted to make sure the prolapse was a one time thing or we would retire her. She kidded fine her first time, prolapsed second time and did fine this time. Anyway they are 4.8lbs. each and just cute as bugs. Mira is caramel and white and Mia is peacock pattern.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v315/ ... s%20twins/

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Awe!!! SO Cute!!!! :thumb: :stars: :stars:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Adorable! The little white one looks like a lamb!

You said Tilda prolapsed last time...and she kidded successfully this time, how many did she have last time?

I have a doe, Tilly, that prolapsed in February with her 4th freshening...she previously twinned all 3 times, this past time was triplets...I was told not to breed her again because of the prolapse.....I was thinking I would like to try again with her but I don't want to tempt fate.
    How did you make your decision to breed your doe after the prolapse?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    those babies are so adorable......just love them... :love: :)
    congrats

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'm interested in what Liz said, too.

The reason being, my doe Vanity had a boat load of problems with prolapsing recently, and I only got 1 buck from her, I am tempted to have another try for a doe.

How long did you leave your doe to heal before rejoining?

6. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    They are adorable! Congrats!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Suellen

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Congratulations!!! They're adorable!

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    well if she said 22 months then that means she put her in kid 17 months after the prolapse. So a year and a half.

I would think it would be safe to at least try again once - after a break like that - as long as no damage was sustained to the womb the last time... but I've never tried it. If we have sheep prolapse, we send them away. I think I would keep a goat though and give her a break and then try again... but not sure as I've never been in that situation - thankfully!!!

LW

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congratulations!!! what beautiful girls

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Congratulations. They are adorable.

Hey don't be to sad, at least you have babies now and you will not be kidding in this horrible cold.

Does giving them a year off from kidding help they to "heal" from a prolapse?

11. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    Well in my situation we knew this doe had kidded with no prolapse previously (we have the daughter from that pregnancy and the daughter did not prolapse in her pregnancy) so we thought we would give her at least a year to recoup. This doe has never had anything more than twins. The prolapse (I am talking about a vaginal prolapse BEFORE babies are born not a uterine prolapse or rectal prolapse) came at the last two weeks of the pregnancy and she had an enormous amount of fluid in that pregnancy. It was twin boys and they were fine and the delivery was fine (one was delivered with legs tucked under him but fine over all). I took into consideration that she had so much fluid that maybe that was causing the excess pressure. If her prolapse had been really bad or a uterine or rectal prolapse I would NOT have bred her again. She was monitored very closely this time and we decided to try it one more time. She will not be going anywhere even if she never kids again. If she had prolapsed for a longer period of time during the pregnancy or if her prolapse had been hard to manage I wouldn NOT have bred her again. My doe is more important to me than to breed her just to get kids off of her. If I had thought there was any danger to her I would NOT have done it. I really believe it was the amount of fluid she had during the last pregnancy. If your does had normal kids and normal fluids and prolapsed for short period of time during their pregnancy then I would say try one more time (knowing that each time you try you risk the doe's health and even life).

Keren: You said your doe had a boat load of problems. That would cause me to give a lot of thought to breeding her again especially since she had one baby and prolapsed. The least I would do would be to give her a year or more off.

Liz: Your doe has kidded several time before with no prolapse which makes me think this time was due to so much in there (trips). some does just cant carry that many kids. But again, the very least I would do would be to give her a year or more off first.

Just my opinion. And yes I will breed Tilda again but she will get another year off.

12. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Congrats on those beautiful girls!!!!

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you for taking the time to explain Tilda's situation all1965.....even though my doe prolapsed 2 weeks before her DD I am really thinking of breeding her next fall...so she will have a good amount of time off...she freshened in February08/ Thanks again!

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thank you for that it is very much appreciated.

Vanity actually had triplets :doh: but only one survived. She prolapsed 7 wks before kidding; we stitched her three times, the initial time, then the second time the string had broken, the third time she had torn the string through the vulva, so in that case we didnt stitch but we used the bearing retainer. She cost me a lot of money ($2K) and is from the best stud in Australia (Mugambi), I dont have any daughters or access to any daughters from her, I would breed her in March 2010 so she would have almost 2 yrs between kiddings. Her previous history - she has had at least 6 kiddings without problems like this - she has in the past prolapsed a tiny little bubble but only a couple weeks prior to kidding and it didnt need to be stitched or anything. Along with the prolapse this time she also got really really sick - basically off feed for two weeks prior to the birth - I was having to IV and SQ give her fluids and glucose. But I do think that was my fault and that she was very much deficient in calcium - since the 4 in 1 really picked her up and I have heard that calcium deficiency can lead to prolapse. I also had a few other things in other goats that led me to believe they were all deficient. So I am thinking to maybe give her one more shot in 2010, make sure the minerals are up and nutrition is 100%, use the bearing retainer if she does prolapse again (since the vulva has too much scar tissue to stitch again). But then if I do join her and she prolapses badly again, or gets crook again, I am going to be kicking myself. I have a $758 vet bill because of her. And only one buck to show for it :sigh: Hard decision.

15. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I think the break would really benefit her health and uterine strength. I would try for a girl if it were me but I would definetly wait. Just monitor her and sometimes limiting the amount of hay during the last couple of weeks of the pregnancy helps. Just limiting not cutting out their rumen must have roughage. That of course does not mean limiting nutrition just the bulky stuff. Moving her feed to more concentrate (less bulky) and more supplements will allow her to get the nutrients she needs without making her rumen huge which takes up more baby room which can lead to prolapse. If it were me I would try for a girl but the nutrition factors worry me just as much or more than the prolapse. You can loose a doe and the kids from ketosis or calcium problems. My friend just lost one of her best does. the final say is that we cant be fortune tellers but we can use the information we know about our goats in a wise way. All you can do is make the decision and do the best to support the doe's pregnancy.

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thank you so much for your perspective on this.

I am leaning more and more towards the trying again route.

I think once she has weaned Pride I may put her out in a good pasture get her healthy again and then rebreed in 2010.