The Goat Spot Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Its supposed to be like 25 degrees tonight.... so I need to take any precautions against the cold? And do I need to check every few hours through the night?
Its only been an hour and a half, but neither of them will latch without help. I'm probably just overly worried.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Babies are doing great! They started bouncing around like crazy today... the best thing to watch ever lol.
They seemed to favor one side, so I started milking her out a little every day at feeding time to help keep her production up. 2.5 cups a day! Still gross from colostrum, but the dogs think it tastes wonderful!
They are the cutest little things ever. The lady who's buying them let her Grandkids name them. Fluffy Gary and Lucy Nilly.
Just Fluffy-G and Nilly while they are here
20210331_163704.jpg
20210330_170354.jpg
20210330_170348.jpg

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
So everyone is doing great. And I just bought some electric fencing so I can get everyone out to the biger pasture. I finally got it usable, put Willow and Stella in it, and willow promptly showed off that she can fit her horns through the fence... and can't get them back out. Then after a couple days she figured out how to get out all together, so that didn't work out. They are all back in the small pen for now. The electric should teach them not to touch the fence. I got a wellscroft solar kit. Anyone have any experience with those?

Another thing. The first few days I was getting about 2.5 cups of milk from Tilly daily. It was super easy to milk her. Now she's holding it back. I get maybe 10 painstaking squirts out of each side (with lots of bumping) and then she decides I've had enough and holds it back for her kids I'm assuming. Should I keep trying to milk, and wash her with a warm cloth to help stimulate her to let it down? ( I haven't been because we haven't been keeping the milk )
Or should I just let her be until I start separating them at night in a few weeks?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
2,960 Posts
So everyone is doing great. And I just bought some electric fencing so I can get everyone out to the biger pasture. I finally got it usable, put Willow and Stella in it, and willow promptly showed off that she can fit her horns through the fence... and can't get them back out. Then after a couple days she figured out how to get out all together, so that didn't work out. They are all back in the small pen for now. The electric should teach them not to touch the fence. I got a wellscroft solar kit. Anyone have any experience with those?

Another thing. The first few days I was getting about 2.5 cups of milk from Tilly daily. It was super easy to milk her. Now she's holding it back. I get maybe 10 painstaking squirts out of each side (with lots of bumping) and then she decides I've had enough and holds it back for her kids I'm assuming. Should I keep trying to milk, and wash her with a warm cloth to help stimulate her to let it down? ( I haven't been because we haven't been keeping the milk )
Or should I just let her be until I start separating them at night in a few weeks?

Thanks guys!
Great to hear that everyone is doing great!

I believe until the kids are two weeks, you should let the kids have all the milk. At two weeks you can separate them at night and milk her in the morning. When I tried to milk my doe Bella before separating the kids, I could barely get anything out of her. I also learned that Bella has a very meaty udder and therefore it's hard to get the milk out at the end. Lots of massaging and bumping is necessary to get her completely empty, so that could be going on with your doe too, but you should definitely be getting more than ten squirts once she is on a 12 hour fill.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts