time for a new lgd??

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by AlaskaBoers, Mar 11, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :veryangry:

woke up this morning, and looked outside, and the rabbit hutches were open, "what the heck?", these were the cages for my Standard Rex does, so I starting putting on boots and then I saw a dog. A bg black and tan husky, :veryangry: I know who's dog this is, grabbed a hockey stick and went out there. Both of my junior does were gone, hair everywhere...didn't see any blood. then I went to the Buck's hutch and the burlap over the sides was ripped off, both were in their boxes shivering. Then, I remembered I had a pregnant doe in the hay shed, closed - but unlocked...I went in and her cage was flipped over, the nestbox upside down, the cage was bent and the legs were broken off.
    I assumed she was dead - probably by shock, but I tipped the cage back over and open the door and she was in there, alive, I moved her into the kidding shed entryway.

and where was my beloved great pyrenees x maremma ?? oh, she was napping by the buck pen. :doh: the same dog that chased off bears, and unknown people. but lets a dog kill some of the only standard rex in Alaska. grrr!

Anyway- I'll be calling them today to chat. :roll:

2. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Hm... Unless you're super good friends with these people and they'll replace all your damaged equipment and now-gone livestock... I would've probably broken out some ground beef and caught their dog as proof... Or, ya know- not been so nice.

I wouldn't get rid of your lgd if she's effective in every other area except other dogs- but maybe a new one would be in order to add to her? Don't listen to me, though. I know next to nothing about LGDs!!

Good luck with everything =/ sorry for your losses with the does :(

3. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    :veryangry: That would make me so mad! I'm so sorry for your losses... and if I met the owner of that dog would definitely give him a piece of my mind... I hope your doe pulls through and has her babies okay!

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    no, not best friends with these guys

I going to talk with my dad and have him call, i'd be too ticked off, he'd be alot calmer, and believe me, if I had a gun handy - I would have taken care of it. I should have grabbed my camera, I thought about it, but I didnt want to waste time while he was messing with my rabbits.

yeah, hopefully she didnt abort the kits. :veryangry:

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I would've shot the dumb thing. I'd take pics as evidence for the owners of the dog to see. They also need to pay for everything to be replaced. If he'll do that to your rabbits then he'll do it to your goats. Find a way to get rid of him.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well, there isnt much to see, a bit of hair and the doors are opened, the other cage that the preg. doe was in is trashed though. It cant hurt to take pics.

And, I'd be SO angry if I ever saw another dog near my goats.

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yep... defintely would have shot it.... its had a good time at your place so now it WILL be back.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hmm, should i call them directly first, or animal control?

9. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    I agree and I would have shot it. Then I would give the owner a bill for new hutches and cost to replace and lost stock.

10. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I'd try to contact them directly first. If they don't agree to lock their dog up and pay for damages then I'd call animal control. IF the dog gets out again and he's not aggresive towards you lock him up and call animal control to come and get him.

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks guys, turns out another neighbor has a black husky that attacked my friends hutch also, I'm going to walk down there and see if I recognize him. the owners will pay for the rabbits, my wire cage and keep their dog confined or I'll call mat-su control. :(

12. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Hmmm, let us know what you find out.

13. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Hope it goes okay and let us know how it turns out. They owe it to you to replace the cages, and the does -- and not just what they're worth, but cost of replacement which is often higher!

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thing is, these are standard rex. not very many here. gonna have a heck of a time finding replacements.

15. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh no what a horrible thing! Yes an extra LGD is in order here as well as restitution.

16. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    One thing top to remeber if your LGD is a GP is that sometimes a dog they have seen around as a puppy(the other dog) it becomes accustomed. A good LGD will not alert or attack a non threat so if your LGD has been exposed to this other dog('s) since they where puppies he may have let it slide by.
    http://www.bountifulfarm.com/pyrunderstand.htm