time for pale eyelids to turn pink

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sgian, Jun 20, 2008.

1. sgian

sgian New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    missouri
    After worming a goat with pale eyelids, how long should it take for a goat's eyelids to become pink without any supplements?

If a supplement is used after worming a goat with pale eyelids, what should it be? I'm guessing something with iron, but this area has a lot of iron in the soil (along with a lot of other minerals including lead, there are still active mines here). We have a meat goat mineral block available in the pasture.

county avg
    as 8.632
    se 0.211
    hg 0.034
    pb 161.130
    zn 202.867
    cu 15.289
    al 2.653
    na 0.162
    mg 0.879
    p 0.024
    ti 0.151
    ca 1.924
    mn 750.833
    fe 1.707

Definitely not sheep country with that copper content, although I see them around occasionally.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Sometimes it takes a couple days for them to turn back to pink. Generally unless the goat is really down and sick or the eyelids are white instead of pale do I give an iron supplement to help with that. If you have that much iron in your soil, and if your goats aren't acting really down with pale eyelids, then I wouldn't give an iron supplement.

I think that I would change from block minerals to loose minerals though. We used to feed block minerals and our goats(both meat and dairy) never did as well on them as they did with the loose minerals.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First off --- Welcome!

unless the goats are browsing on your soil they aren't getting the minerals no matter how much of everything it has available to them.

As to their eyelids. I give it 3 or more days before I start checking for a change in color. After 7 days i follow up with a second dose (or try to remember to) as this gets rid of the eggs that hatched.