Time for the little ones to join the adults-kind of scared

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by hprice3920, Jul 1, 2008.

1. hprice3920

hprice3920 New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I guess I have read too many horror stories about goats killing other new goats and now I have been putting off adding my 4 month old ones to the "herd" of wethers and a few bucks.
    I have 10 adults (7 wethers and 3 bucks) and they all get along great with no problems and I have had them a year. The 3 bucks were added to the others last year when the herd decided to jump in wth kids pen with them so I guess they welcomed them. All are nigerians from the same breeder too.
    The ones I need to add are a nubian and nigoria and they are all the same size. I have 1 little nigerian that will stay small so I dont want to add him in with the adults and may put him in with the 10week olds since they are about the same size.
    If I dont move them in with the adults I have another area ready that is wooded and I have been freaking out over the fact there might be a leaf from a chock cherry tree in there that they might eat or something else that might kill them. I tried to blow most the leaves out and discoverd a yellow jacket nest outside of the pen, but close enough not to like the noise.
    You see all the time people getting goats to clear land so I am trying to tell myself it will be ok, but I would not forgive myself if I moved them and they died.
    I dont know what to do at this point..I'm so confused and scared to do the wrong thing, but the boys need to be away from the girls ASAP before they breed too young. :?
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If your little boys are big enough to do damage with the girls then yes it is advisable to separate them, I had the same feelings when my buckling Teddy was just 3 months old...I had no choice but to put him in with the 2 big boys...he held his own and I made sure he had an "escape" if they got too rough. I have a box made inside the shed that hecan hide in and a childs box type slide that he can run into, he is ok with his dad but my pygmy buck can be nasty to both of them whe a doe is in heat. Teddy is now a happy and established 4 1/2 month old buckling. Since you have more than one little boy to be separated they should be fine, they'll have each other to buddy with while they transition. :greengrin:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It may sound kinda harsh, but i'd just put em in! They will quickly learn who the boss is and how to act around the adults. It might be hard at first, but after around a week everyone should quiet down and be a bit more used to each other. I would definately seperate soon as they're mature enough to breed. Do you have a REALLY agressive buck??? I've never had a problem, but it's different for every goat. Good luck!
  4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I know that you all are going to freak - but mine are never seperated from the herd. If I know that the doe is going to kid within the day - then I will put her in the kidding stall for the day and then if it is cold (winter) they will stay in their with a heat light for 2-3 days or so - then they rejoin the herd. My herd is so close to each other - they all panic when one is seperated (even though they can go nose to nose through the boards). I had 2 of the 4 does that kidded last winter kid out in the main area. I did not even seperated my sheep out.

Now I do have about 3 acres that they all get to run around in also, though.