Time Line for kids -

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Sep 9, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Can someone please help me make a timeline for the procedures for kid care. I believe I know most of it, but I would like to get other's opinions.

Birth -
    (within 24 hours) -
    Bose Injection
    Clean umbilical cord

(within 48 hours) -

10-14 days old -
    disbud and wether (if needed)

ok now here is where I need help -
    when and what to worm with
    first vaccination and when to give boosters
    when can I seperate from mom at night to be able to milk in the AM
    anything else that you can think of that I need to have.

Thanks All!
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Allison, I don't use BoSE so I'll skip that, but heres what I have done with all kids in the past and something new for the next one.

Birth: cords dipped within first few minutes, then dipped again after they've nursed.
    Mom gets wormed with Ivermectin
    Recently started to offer dis buds so I get that done within 2 weeks

I don't separate at night til the kids are 3 weeks old.
    First CD/T at 5-6 weeks
    Band boys at 6 weeks
    Worm with 1/2 cc ivermectin paste at 6 weeks...before that they had benefit of moms worming thru nursing.
    2nd dose of CD/T at 8 1/2 to 9 weeks...if they leave earlier than the date they are due , the new owners know they require it.

Since I had Cocci issues with Chief last year and one doeling this year I am starting a "cocci prevention" per my vets directions and that is to add 1# Deccox to 25# minerals freechoice from 3 months gestation to 6 weeks past delivery, this prevent the adults from shedding the oocysts therefore prevents kids from contracting an overload.

Since the Deccox isn't "safe" for milk consumption I won't be pulling kids at night....I can wait til they are 8 weeks old before I start using the milk.

I may end up changing the times for vaccinating because of the information I've been reading about it being too early to do any good....I don't keep kids past 8 weeks old though so I don't know yet .

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do not do the BO SE either so I can not say to that, or disbud.

I do not wether until they are about 2-1/2 months old.

The CDT. I do at two weeks. The vets and the stuff i have read said that before two weeks does not do any good because their immune system is not able to utilize it. So I do it at two weeks and then again 4 weeks later. If mom get hers then I only do one boost other wise I do another one in another 4 weeks.

I do not deworm just because they have kidded. Matter of fact I have never dewormed after kidding and I have never had a problem. I really do believe it has to do with where you like and the worm problem that might be out there.
  4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We only give selenium to kids that are especially small or weak. We give it in the form of an oral paste. Normally this is not needed for our kids.

Disbudding is done between one and three weeks of age. I have had some doe kids that were not disbudded until four weeks though, typically bucks are done at 1 1/2 -2 weeks and does at 3 weeks.

I don't wether until the kids are at least 7-8 weeks, I wait as long as possible to allow the UT to develop as much as possible.

We had vaccinated when the kids were 5-6 weeks old, then 3 weeks later but with the new information, we will likely change that. We may stop vaccinating all together, but not too sure on that, makes me nervous.

We deworm at 5-6 weeks w/ Valbazen. I like this because it is so broad-spectrum. We also practice cocci prevention. I like Liz's plan with the Deccox verses Di-Methoxx or Albon, I can be very forgetful at times & have forgotten to give babies their dose for the day. :oops:
  5. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    We dont do anything to the kids.
    The most is band around 2 months and when they are weaned, naturally, which can take as long as 6 months, then they get their first CDT and a 30 day follow up.

As long as they are nursing, they get anti-bodies from the mom.

I never have found a need here to do anything but watch the kids grow.

As for the cords I leave them along. I see no reason to mess with it.
    Mammals have been having kids without cleaning or dipping cords for as long as mammals have been around.

Heck I never even birthed my own child (had 5) with the doc cleaning or dipping the babies cord. Clamp, cut and go!

I also never had a mom, first time or otherwise reject any kid!

So, my opinion, leave the kids alone.
    As for a kid that is struggling after its born, the strongest survive so we have a strong herd.
  6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Honestly, I don't clean them - but I know that alot do. I do however cut them shorter so that they aren't dragging in the dirt collecting nasties!

The Valbezen wormer mentioned - is that safe for milking does also?

I am drawing blood this weekend, and I think that I am going to send a poo sample in also - Oh are they going to LOVE me!
  7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The goats or the Lab? :ROFL:
  8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Liz -

I think both :ROFL:

And I have a friend who is going to come out and I am going to teach her how to draw also!
  9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    When I get home I will post this but I have a time line given to me by my vet that successfully raises dairy goats. He also gave me a list of wormers and the safety of them. I will check when I get home.
  10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That would be wonderful!!! Thank you!
  11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I think it is. . . don't drink the milk though. Our does providing milk for human consumption are given the Fir Meadow herbal deworming blend, no chemicals.