Time to disbud?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Perfect7, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Our boer/nubian buckling was born March 6th. We raise our boys for meat but this guy looks more nubian and has nice markings so going to Craigslist him locally in case someone wants him for breeding. His mom has a nice udder and is a good milk producer. Since he looks nubian (and has that build) I know I need to have him disbudded because nubians don't keep horns. I've never done it and will take him to our vet, but is it too late to have it done now? He's 16 days old today and just starting to feel the little buds come up. Thanks for helpling a meat goat person out! :oops:

2. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am not too sure how to answer this because around here if it has the more then 25% boer or another meat breed every one calls them meat animals. So then the horns could stay or go. I know some dairy people that won't buy one if It has 1% boer due to the chance of 2x2 teat structure. But its worry a try.

3. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    :chin: Good points! I know the dad had 1:1 teat structure but those recessive genes could definitely come out. Also, he could have babies with white bodies and capes! :p
    I guess hornless wont hurt anyway because if he goes they may not want horns but if he stays, well, a year without horns wont hurt him. :laugh:

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Get it done as soon as you can. Now. As you say, hornless won't hurt anyway.

Jan

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you. I will take him to the vet in the morning. The last time I took a buck there, the vet bought him so..... :p
    Thanks! :thumb: