Timing Kidding for daytime?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by MellonFriend, Oct 7, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I was reading an article on Packgoats.com about pregnant doe nutrition and I was surprised to read this:
    About a week or so before their due date feed the pellets 60% in the early morning and 40% 12 hrs later, in the evening. Feed their hay in the morning and only enough so that it is gone by mid afternoon. Remove it if it’s not cleaned up. By doing this correctly your girls should kid in the daylight hours. In over 20 years we have had thousands of births, and only 2 were at night. And those 2 were because someone had filled up the hay feeder in the evening

Has anyone heard of this or tried it?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well there is another one that states to feed in the evening to have day kidding. All I can tell you is I personally feed in the am, enough to last all day long and probably part of the night, and I mostly have day time kids. The last few years the only night kiddings I have had were ones that ended up needing assistance but 90% of mine are having them by 3pm.
    Now on the other hand people swear by the night time feeding, and with my cattle we feed in the evening and again most have their calf’s in the day time.
    So if you ask me all animal try and have day time babies lol

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Well I never heard of it. I feed a.m. and p.m. with free choice hay 24 / 7. My girls usually deliver between noon and 600 p.m. I've been up late for false labor. But 99 % are day time..at least for the last 4 years anyway.

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I too feed morning and evening.
    Most are born mornings when I go let them out of the barn in winter and just at or after I feed their breakfast and during the day/evening.
    But occasionally, I do get a 11 pm appointment or so. ;)

5. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    If it where that easy we moms could time delivery of our own babies as well...

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I feed at night, breed at night and milk at night. I have kids mostly at night with the occasional late afternoon kid. (I love walking in and finding a dry happy kid, happens maybe 3 times each kidding)
    I was present for 65 kids last year. All night kids.

7. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Gosh that's a lot of kids!

MadHouse likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I would be a zombie with 65.night time kidds! Arrrrrgggghhhhh:imok:

10. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Lol I’m not a very cheerful person after 1 night time kidding and I know my girls drag me down with their day time kidding so I’m pretty sure I would be the worst person to be around if I had that many at night lol