Timing on new kids

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Mar 18, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I have two goats that we got last year. One was on a bottle when we brought her home and she is so friendly. We also got a wether with her that was not on the bottle and he still is a bit skittish but a great pet.

We plan on getting a 3rd goat this spring, and I'm trying to figure out what works best.

Do you want a bottle baby, or do you just want a goat that will take a bottle for a couple weeks when you bring it home to make it bond with us (2 adults and 3 children)?

I'm only doing Boer goats now (have some mix in them, but less than 25%). I hope to get the same with this 3rd goat. At what age should I bring them home? Last year I think it they were about 7-8 weeks old. They actually seemed a bit older than some people. I was struggling to finish our pen and they still got out!

Can I put a baby in with the other two and all be ok? The two we got now are quite gentle.

Thanks is advance.
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I am not sure if I welcomed you yet moday. Hi :wave:

Some options available to you would be: a goat that was handled from birth and friendly. One that was on the bottle from birth - you can continue the bottle feeding at home. Or if weaned already he/she would already have that bottle baby mentality which tend to be friendly.

3. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    You dont have to bottle feed to get a friendly goats. Even if you get a weanling that has never been handled before, it wouldnt take very long to get them friendly. All you have top do is handle them a few times a day, or (Ive done this once before) keep them in the house with you for a week or so during the night. Let them sit with you while you are watching TV ir reading a book or sleeping. They bond very quickly this way and you dont have to jepordize their health by taking them off of mom. It is MUCH better for the kids to be left on mom if at all possible.

I hope this helps and welcome to TGS :wave:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You can get a weanling and still have them bond, also agree with CJ, as long as the kid is handled daily it will bond to you. Also, even though your doe and wether are gentle to you it does not mean they will be nice to a new baby! Goats are territorial and will defend their place in the herd, even with just 3 goats! So I would introduce the new one while you can supervise and make sure it has a place to get away from whichever of the 2 you have decides to be a bully.