The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone :)

Thinking about changing my goats hay as have not been impressed with what I usually get. It seems a bit dusty and the goats are refusing certain bales.

Does anyone feed goats Timothy hay? I have just been feeding what I assume is mixed from a local farm. Do they like this hay? I think mine are finicky.

I heard Timothy has more calcium than other grasses, so might this be good for boys?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also would this new hay need to be mixed with their old, since I don’t think they have had just Timothy before.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Hi, welcome! Goats do like variation, so any hay that is only one kind will not be so popular. Better than dusty and/or moldy, though! :)

Some farmers harvest straw, that can sometimes be very nice, with "green shots". When I have the opportunity, I prefer to buy from the farmer directly.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Hi, welcome! Goats do like variation, so any hay that is only one kind will not be so popular. Better than dusty and/or moldy, though! :)

Some farmers harvest straw, that can sometimes be very nice, with "green shots". When I have the opportunity, I prefer to buy from the farmer directly.
Please don't recommend straw to anybody in the USA, perhaps the harvesting is different in your country but here straw is never ever an option for feeding goats.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Please don't recommend straw to anybody in the USA, perhaps the harvesting is different in your country but here straw is never ever an option for feeding goats.
Okay, I know nothing about how American farmers think.

But we agree that goats do like variation, don't we? :)

·
Super Moderator
58,529 Posts
They may like variation but when it comes to buying hay, you may not have choices. You buy what the farmer offers. So the variation has to be in your field where you have the control.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I see. Different agricultural history in our countries.

But I remember once, when I visited a farmer to buy his hay. When walking over his land, I saw a wonderfully rich-on-species field, and said I would gladly buy some hay from that field. He looked at me in disbelief, saying "What? THAT poor field??? I'm not harvesting there!!!" I ended up assisting him when harvesting, and my goats LOVED it!

·
I'm watching you
22,215 Posts
Your state must not be a grass seed harvest area. In Oregon we get beautiful green grass straw that's only 18% protein instead of the 24% protein our way too rich hay is.
Depending on which valley you buy the hay from it can vary immensely.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Timothy hay is not higher in calcium than other grass hays.
Depending upon when it is cut it can be higher in protein than other grass hays.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Coastal Bermuda is the grass hay with the higher calcium content. On average it has a 2.7 to 1 calcium/phosphorus ratio. Timothy hay is on average 1.1 to 1 calcium/phosphorus ratio.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see I've been misinformed, lol. I got the information from this site
https://www.sweetwaternutrition.com/best-hay-feed-horse/

I thought it would be a bit too convenient, especially since there might be some variances by state and country? I am not a hay expert. Barely a hay novice.

Thanks for the help everyone. When I go next time I will try and choose some bales for myself and will not leave until the smell impresses me, or maybe I will try the Timothy. Hay is a big decision.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
According to the sweetwater site, Timothy is 2.3 to 1 calcium phosphorus ratio. You were not misinformed, I would be the misinformed one concerning Timothy. I have been completely under the impression that Timothy was rated similar to Orchard grass. This is good to know another type of grass hay has a higher calcium content. Thank you for linking the hay site, it will be useful for many people.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There can be a wide variation in hay depending on where it’s grown

I have found sources of Timothy with ratios as high as of 2:1 and as low as 1:1.4

To me that means Without looking at the actual analysis one can’t assume much with Timothy

alfalfa has so much calcium you can always be assured it will always have more ca than k but from what I’ve seen from looking at various Timothy hay analysis the true ratio can’t always be assumed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts