The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday I allpied Ivomec blue pour on for Tink. Her fecal count was high on Brown stomach worms. It became extremely hot with both air & UV intense heat. Ive been putting frozen milk jugs in the water troughs. Change water dailey. Tuesday evening. Tink ate half her feed. I dismissed it thinking it was heat related. I gave her a drenching of Dark beer and electroles. Wednesday, she was off, not eating, didnt look right. I noticed snot white & clear in one nostril. I went and got 1.5cc Draxxin and gave it Sq. She was mad. Didnt want me touching her. That afternoon I drenched her with Red Cell, electrolytes, Dyne, Milk of Magnesium. I noticed she had not defecated. I talked to a few friends on the phone... @Jessica84 Suggested aspirin, if its pnuemonia, its painful. I drenched her with 4 .she did eat a few leaves and started moving more. She defecated,and I ran another fecal, numbers were less than Monday. She barely ate any food last night, and none this morning. I again drenched her with the Dyne, Mom, Red cell, electrolytes. And another drench of. 4 aspirins. Her temp is @102. Breathing is normal, clear lungs. Pants when she gets too hot. Clear eyes good famacha 2 to 3. No nasal discharge this morning. Defecating normal today. If you can suggest anything, please do. Thankyou
Dog Plant Grass Goat Fence

Dog Plant Dog breed Working animal Carnivore

·
Administrator
91,404 Posts
Sounds like you are doing the right things. But using a pouron to worm doesn’t do much.
Use Ivomec Injectable in 10 days orally. Did you check for cocci?

Did you get a temp before medicating her?

Fortified bit b complex and probiotics will help her rumen, but make sure you give that about 4 hours after giving antibiotics. Give for 3 days minimum, longer if you wish, 1 x a day.

Up and down weather temps can make a goat sick.

If her famancha color is good,
no need to give iron supplements.

No grain while she is sick, only hay.
Put some in her mouth and see if she will eat it. If she continues to not eat, make a alfalfa pellet slurry. 1/4 cup pellets to electrolytes or water, however much it takes so it is easy to drench her, blend it up so it will go through a big syringe, new turkey baster etc.
Go out and feed her every couple of hours. Drench very slowly, with head up slightly. Make a new batch each time.

Have her in a shadded area with a fan will help.

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tink is a yearling, my 1st bottle baby. Never bred. She is laying by herself until her herdmates come in for shade. Then she will get up and graze for a few minutes while they are there. When they go back in the pastures,she lays by the tree. Thats better than yesterday. 🤔

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I would love someone to come drench her. Its like a mini rodeo. She sees the drench gun, and sets her jaw. I end up straddling her shoulders, left hand under her chin. Right hand figuring out where to put the tip and plunge slowly. While shes jerking her head and twisting her neck. So....Im not making a video. 😮😣

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yes, I would love someone to come drench her. Its like a mini rodeo. She sees the drench gun, and sets her jaw. I end up straddling her shoulders, left hand under her chin. Right hand figuring out where to put the tip and plunge slowly. While shes jerking her head and twisting her neck. So....Im not making a video. 😮😣
As long as you're getting it into the right end, we're good!
Hope she gets well fast!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts