The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new little 2 day old bottle girl isn’t eating much at all since yesterday afternoon. She is 5.5lbs Boer with a little Kiko in her. She was one of triplets born during a blizzard Monday morning. The other 2 didn’t make it and Mom wasn’t caring for her so her human mom asked me to try to save her as she doesn’t have the time she would need to care for her with everything she’s got going on right now.

I kept her on colostrum replacer through yesterday as we weren’t sure how much she may have gotten from her mom (if any) since she wasn’t caring for her. She ate maybe 5-6oz between 11am when she pulled from Mom and last night with me. But she hasn’t eaten since about 5 last night other than a couple drops from me trying to get her to eat. I tried every couple hours throughout the night but she didn’t want anything to do with eating.

She was pooping and peeing all day yesterday. I haven’t seen her poop today yet but she peed quite a bit when I got her up around 7.

I just got her to eat maybe 1/2oz whole milk this morning at 7:30. She’s not as vibrant as she was yesterday (she wasn’t all that crazy yesterday though either but her tail was up and wagging all day). Now this morning she’s tail down or straight out, no wagging, crying a bit, and standing a bit funny. Her back legs are close together but then the bottom of her legs V pretty far out to the side. I know she’s still new so I don’t know when they really start getting jumpy and playing but she seems off to me.

Temp is 101.3 so she’s a bit low.

I cannot lose this little girl. What do I do?

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would recommend a small syringe filled with warm milk. Put baby on your lap and try everything you can to replicate mum's udder. Cover her eyes with a hand, cuddle her close to you for warmth, tickle her bum and also try tickling under her chin and neck to get her to swallow. Give her teeny tiny bits slowly. It might take a day or so but mine have always got the hang of it within that time on the syringe. Then they'll begin to suck on he syringe when they learn it's not poison, once they do that you can then begin switching over to a bottle and teat.

At least that's what I do!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Also can you get hold of any fresh colostrum? I managed to get a kid who wouldn't drink his replacer at all last year to fully suck when I filled the bottle with a few squirts of uber fresh colostrum. But of course that depends if your friend is close enough to get said squirts and if she's got a recently kidded doe.

·
Fair-Haven
4,738 Posts
Colostrum is only effective within the first 24 hours of birth, I would be trying her on some whole milk making sure it is at least 100 degrees. Unfortunately, if she didn't get any colostrum from mom, she may not thrive. I would give her some b-complex (1.5 cc) and bo-se if you have any. Keep her warm. Did her naval get dipped in iodine? Wishing you all the best!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Colostrum is only effective within the first 24 hours of birth, I would be trying her on some whole milk making sure it is at least 100 degrees. Unfortunately, if she didn't get any colostrum from mom, she may not thrive. I would give her some b-complex (1.5 cc) and bo-se if you have any. Keep her warm. Did her naval get dipped in iodine? Wishing you all the best!
My goat vet is 3.5 hours away because no one around here does/knows about goats really. She happens to be the daughter of the woman that asked me to try to save this little one. She said to keep trying the whole milk too. We have Holstein milk straight from the bulk tank for the babies so that's about as good as she can get other than Mom. Thank heavens for dairy neighbor!

She thinks she got at least some colostrum from Mom but can't be sure. It was a crappy crappy day to be kidding Monday in our area and she's taking care of her farm and her sons farm and grandkids right now as her husband, son and daughter-in-law are all in Haiti. :confused: She's got her hands full right now so that's why she asked me to save her when she went back out yesterday morning and saw Mom wasn't caring about her.

I don't have don't have bo-se but I have b-complex on hand and selenium/e gel that should be delivered today.

She only weighs 5.5lbs

·
Registered
504 Posts
My goat vet is 3.5 hours away because no one around here does/knows about goats really. She happens to be the daughter of the woman that asked me to try to save this little one. She said to keep trying the whole milk too. We have Holstein milk straight from the bulk tank for the babies so that's about as good as she can get other than Mom. Thank heavens for dairy neighbor!

She thinks she got at least some colostrum from Mom but can't be sure. It was a crappy crappy day to be kidding Monday in our area and she's taking care of her farm and her sons farm and grandkids right now as her husband, son and daughter-in-law are all in Haiti. :confused: She's got her hands full right now so that's why she asked me to save her when she went back out yesterday morning and saw Mom wasn't caring about her.

I don't have don't have bo-se but I have b-complex on hand and selenium/e gel that should be delivered today.

She only weighs 5.5lbs
Oh she's teeny! I guess that at least means you don't need to get as much milk into her?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh she's teeny! I guess that at least means you don't need to get as much milk into her?
Right. But I was getting worried since she hadn't taken any from about 5pm to 7:30am. But lo and behold, I warmed up some more and tried covering her eyes. She sucked down 2oz without a fuss. I warmed a bit more as she was still suckling hard and she ate another ounce. She even has wagged her tail again a few times now. Yay! She should be good for a little while now. Thank you for the suggestion of covering her eyes. That's abot the only thing I hadn't tried and apparently that's exactly what she needed.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Right. But I was getting worried since she hadn't taken any from about 5pm to 7:30am. But lo and behold, I warmed up some more and tried covering her eyes. She sucked down 2oz without a fuss. I warmed a bit more as she was still suckling hard and she ate another ounce. She even has wagged her tail again a few times now. Yay! She should be good for a little while now. Thank you for the suggestion of covering her eyes. That's abot the only thing I hadn't tried and apparently that's exactly what she needed.
They're fusspots huh! Now don't get your hopes up too much, that worked for my premie baby for about three feedings then he got confused again. But that being said, she might be a superstar and never forget again. Depends on the kid! (Mine didn't exactly have many brain cells... and still doesn't)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well. She took another 3 ounces like a champ. I don’t know how you all do it. I was up last night with her (and the needy 3.5 week old buckling again) but it’s so not just begun. Checked on the preggers again, nothing happening but they’re yelling at the front door of the house lol

Finally started getting my house back in order and catching up on neglected laundry. Human kids (2 of mine and 2 daycare kiddos all 2 and under) are fed and down for naps, dishes done, picked up around the place, 4th load of laundry for the day done, put away and more going. I’m finally going to sit down and eat something myself. I didn’t even have my coffee this morning o_O I’m pooped lol maybe I could catch a quick nap before the bigger kids get home from school.

You’re all amazing!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Help! She was doing so good. Eating all day yesterday. Even walked around the house quite a bit last night. Didn’t want to eat through the night or this morning. Temp is 98.4! I have her curled up on a warm rice bag with a towel over her. Is there a better way to warm her up?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm not much help with bottle babies; so someone may have a better alternative. But do you have a heatlamp? To get babies warm, I've used a rubbermaid tub with some towels at the bottom, a heat lamp over it, and having half of it covered; to make a nice incubator type box from them. You have to keep a close eye on them that they don't get too hot though. I should mention that I've only done this with ones that were just born and were really cold, from being born outside in the cold. Same concept as a calf box warmer.

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
That is fine. But I like to hold them against my chest. I put a zip up sweatshirt on and put them inside the sweatshirt against my chest so they can feel my heartbeat.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If her temp keeps sliding down, I'd give her a warm water bath to bring her temp up.It's imperative that her temp be brought back up if you're to save her. Some advise doing it in a garbage bag to keep her from getting wet; there's nothing wrong with that but for me I think it's easier to maintain massaging (for circulation) in the water directly, and I believe the full contact with water transfers temp better. Gather towels and thermometer ahead of time; set out hair dryer and more towels in your bathroom. Put her in water that's like a good hot bath, not too hot for your skin, keep massaging her & let out some water/add in warmer water to keep up the water temp as needed. You can just keep taking her temp as needed. I use my kitchen sink for this as it's plenty deep to submerge.

When you (finally, hopefully) bring her temp back up to comfortable range- I want 102.5 before I bring them out- blow dry them of course moving the blow dryer constantly to avoid burning them, at the same time as drying them with a towel. I like this personally because it's very similar to the stimulation given to a baby by an attentive mother; it wakes them up and prepares them to nurse. At this point, keep a close eye on their temp. I've had a baby slide down in temp & need to go for another bath- or two- and still saved them long term.

Not everyone is willing to or is able to go through these measures for them, and I understand that perspective. Even if you do, not all can be saved; ultimately a lot of it comes down to their will to survive. I can see in your posts how much you care for your fur babies; do what you can and then don't beat yourself up. Keep us posted & if you need further advice. Hope she pulls through for you!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As of 45 minutes ago when I last checked temp she’s up to 100.9. I’ve gotten maybe 3oz in her today. But she’s still weak and so very skinny. She was tiny to begin with but she’s so hollow and skinny now. I’ve been alternating between the rice bag under and warm towel over her and carrying her in my sweatshirt when I can. I’ve also been doing a lot of rubbing to get circulation going and try to imitate what a momma would do to get her up and going. She did pee for me too after I took her temp again but still no more poop yet today.

I keep telling her she’s not allowed to leave me. She’s bleating loud and clear yet whenever I rearrange her or take temp so I’m hoping that’s a good sign that she’s got some fire in her yet. I pray she pulls through. This little stinker was so tiny and had so much against her in the beginning but she was getting so strong yesterday afternoon and last night.

Should I give her b-complex or salenium/e gel? If so how much. She’s only 5-5.5lbs

1 - 20 of 84 Posts