The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! It’s me again! And I’m back with another new goat mom concern! Same baby, different issue!! So, yesterday I reached down to pet ms. Cashew and her ears felt bumpy but I didn’t think anything of it until just now I was looking at her and both ears have these tiny bumps in them!! Not just that, but her left eye is surrounded by bumps and kinda swollen and the left corner of her mouth also has bumps! What is this?! Please tell me she’s not sick and dying! I mean she still plays the same and runs around but when I touch her ears she is not a fan. And is constantly shaking her head and itching her ears! What do I do?!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like mites to me. I think i can also see a little bit of crusty scabby starting in there too. Pour on ivermectin, cylense, ultra boss. Not sure how old the goat is so not sure what treatme t will be nest for her.

https://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/mites.html
Oh no really?! This is my first ever goat and I'm bottle feeding her! She's about 2 weeks old and this just started happening! She's going to be okay though right? And I can treat this at home or best if I took her to the vet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like mites to me. I think i can also see a little bit of crusty scabby starting in there too. Pour on ivermectin, cylense, ultra boss. Not sure how old the goat is so not sure what treatme t will be nest for her.

https://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/mites.html
And yes! There's some crust on the outside sides of her ears. And she just came back from a checkup idk how the vet missed this!

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Oh no really?! This is my first ever goat and I'm bottle feeding her! She's about 2 weeks old and this just started happening! She's going to be okay though right? And I can treat this at home or best if I took her to the vet?
Yes she will be just fine! You can absolutely treat this at home. Lice and mites are not a big deal really. Unless it has been going on a long time and not treated... but that is not the case here. ;).But....has she only been in the house or is she outside? That may change my answer even though it does look like mites to me. If only inside it would be hard for her to get them unless she came with eggs on her and they are just hatching. Which it could be.

My other thought was maybe she got into something that she is allergic to.... but the crusties just don't usually go with allergic to something unless she has been scratching at it a lot.

You do have two goatlets right? Or are getting her a friend soon? Goats are herd animals and really do need at least one friend of their own kind. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes she will be just fine! You can absolutely treat this at home. Lice and mites are not a big deal really. Unless it has been going on a long time and not treated... but that is not the case here. ;).But....has she only been in the house or is she outside? That may change my answer even though it does look like mites to me. If only inside it would be hard for her to get them unless she came with eggs on her and they are just hatching. Which it could be.

My other thought was maybe she got into something that she is allergic to.... but the crusties just don't usually go with allergic to something unless she has been scratching at it a lot.

You do have two goatlets right? Or are getting her a friend soon? Goats are herd animals and really do need at least one friend of their own kind. ;)
She's inside for the most part but spends about 40% of the day outside! And I had 2 in the beginning but one had to be put down because she had a blood parasite HOWEVER, I'm picking a new baby up today after work!! ***wooo :)***

And okay cool!! I don't think my heart has the strength to lose another baby lol so I want to make sure I can do everything I can be the best goat mom for them! And so I just put the stuff in her ears and on the bumps? And is it available at tractor supply?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
The chemical pour on products go by weight and go over the topline from neck to tail head. Part the hair as you apply it. i use a syringe without needle.
The VetRx is a natural product that goes right into the ear. 3 drops and massage it in.
Good luck with her!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The chemical pour on products go by weight and go over the topline from neck to tail head. Part the hair as you apply it. i use a syringe without needle.
The VetRx is a natural product that goes right into the ear. 3 drops and massage it in.
Good luck with her!
Okay cool!! Thank y'all so much!! ❤

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I’m leaning to mites as well. However, watch where she’s laying down outside, I just killed a fire ant mound as well as the small red ants.

Replace all her bedding and get the blue ivermec pour on and just like you’d put flea stuff on a dog run some down from base of neck to tail. It’s 1cc per 22lbs.(Use a syringe, no needle) Then, I’d use vet RX in her ears. If she’s really itchy use kids Benadryl for the inflammation and itch.
I hope she likes her new friend, you must be excited :)

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
you can also mix a few drops of the pour on that you use with double the drops of olive oil and put in the ears. Instead of buying more stuff. I jave a rabbit that gets ear mites from time to time and this works well on her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I am super excited!! I picked up the other baby!!

Quick question on cashews maybe mites! I just got home from getting the other little one and her eye and side of mouth are way more swollen. Is that normal?! She’s starting to itch the unaffected side and I can’t get the medicine until morning. She’ll be okay right? I have Benadryl cream for humans. Should I rub some of that on her in the mean time?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Do you have Benadryl tablets? If you do crush half of one and dissolve it in Warm water and drench her with it. I’d put a drop or two of honey or molasses in the warm water to make it taste better and she’ll swallow it easier and not get it in her lungs.

You can use the rub on Benadryl on her ears but not near her mouth or eyes.

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Looks like sweet itch to me. From the midges that fly up out of the mud or near a damp area. Babies often get bitten on the head rather than the stomach.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts