Tiny new kid

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by nagismom, Oct 7, 2010.

1. nagismom

nagismom New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    northern ohio
    First, I'm new to this forum...old to goats. LOL I've never bought or bred for summer babies. Our youngest kid is mid-May. I stumbled onto a kid I had to have (I've been drooling over the genetics and the price was right). Soooo, I drove quite a while to get her and she's TINY!!! I knew she was from a first freshener and I knew she was a triplet...been there done that but she's really tiny!! My original plan was to winter her with my juniors or atleast my may doeling (who towers over her). Now I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about getting a pygmy kid to winter with her. She's in a stall to herself and I'll break out the hotbox as it gets cooler but I can't imagine her being happy alone. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I guess I should say that I have nubians and one ornery old saanan/alpine cross : )

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave:

so what breed is this tiny kid? how old is she?

My tiny nigerian kid has a big personality and she loves being with the adults. I had some other kids in a pen and she wanted in with the adults instead of being with the other kids her size.

So they can handle being with goats larger then they are as long as the adults arent nasty.

Has she been treated for coccidia? sounds like stunted growth do to that parasite (sorry if I am off base suggesting that)

3. nagismom

nagismom New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    northern ohio
    She's nubian who was born the end of July. Her brothers were twice her size. The breeder had her on prevention and so do we. She's very healthy and an eager eater...just tiny. Everything that was done to her was done by a vet...dehorning, worming,shots etc. I was provided with a copy of the vet records.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had a quad like that -- she was tiny tiny when her 3 siblings left. I then let her nurse till her mom dried up (so basically till she was 6 months or older) and she is now a normal size nigerian at just over a year old which means she caught up and then grew faster then most. So she should be ok if she is like my Ziva.

But as for a companion - its all about her personality. Is she timid? is she bullied by others? if so then I would get her a smaller goat companion. If she pushes her way to what she wants then she more then likely can hold her own with the bigger girls.

5. nagismom

nagismom New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    northern ohio
    She's in an isolation stall for a week and honestly I'd be affraid to put her with my juniors (the smallest is 52 pounds). She is so sweet. Yesterday she was following us to and from the manure pile as we were cleaning the barn. I'm thinking of borrowing one of my friends pygmy wethers (born in June) to keep her company.

6. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I'd love to see a pic!

7. nagismom

nagismom New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    northern ohio
    I'll post pics on my facebook account. I have kind of a unique last name. so if you look under dawn borgerding you'll be able to see pics : )

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    can't wait ..... :thumb: :cool:

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ok, either you have not posted them or I can not find you. :( There are two of you but no pictures for either.

10. nagismom

nagismom New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    northern ohio
    Pics are up on FB. I left them public so that you all could see them. My profile is a pic of my 3 yo son. I live in Ohio. Hopefully that helps

11. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Hi Dawn! You can look me up under Kristinn Klug [email protected]

I have some of my goats on under photo albums. I'm the one with the 2 sheep as my pic. (Moose and Baa Baa)

Gina

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Dawn just post the public link ;)

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I love the picture of the cat playing with her ear.

Very pretty goats you have there. :lovey:

You daughter is beautiful

14. nagismom

nagismom New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    northern ohio
    Lori, Thanks for the compliments. We've modified our feeding program this year and I think it shows.
    Gina, I think I found you but was unable to view pics without friending you.
    As for the public link...I think this is it: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pro ... 1781712572
    of course it should be noted that I'm not the most computer savvy person out there. LOL
    I gave Katy her bottle today and afterward she curled up in my lap and fell asleep....Boy I LOVE having kids around : )

15. nagismom

nagismom New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    northern ohio
    Just wanted to give a quick update on my tiny kid; Katy. Well we've had her now for 3 months and she's almost caught up to one of my April kids. I just weaned her from the bottle after Christmas. She's silly and funny and follows us everywhere. Needless to say, she's definitely a barn favorite. The lady I bought her from trained her to jump on the milk stand. So, when we are in the barn she'll bounce on one...cock her head and wait for a treat...no treat(??) ok onto the next. I need to get video of it because it's the funniest thing ever.The other interesting thing is she is probably the healthiest animal in the herd. (that's quite an achievement!). She had no problem with transport, no problem when I transitioned her to milk replacer,no problem with the wormer...She's amazing!!

16. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    That is awesome I have two bottle babies right now and both of them had problems with milk replacer so now we use store bought whole cows milk, They have grown by leaps and bounds. I love the kiddo's too.