Tipping goat horns?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by amook401, Aug 29, 2011.

1. amook401

amook401 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    So show is coming up, and since my goats horns werent disbudded when she was little i have to tip them. The show is coming up in about 2 month, so i need to know the best way to do it?

2. Tolers Boers

Tolers Boers New Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Monticello KY
    I see alot of goats being shown who have their horns. You mean u can't show your goat without cutting or tipping. what is tipping.

I am very curious as to why anyone would do that to a goat. take their horns away when they are little? it's terrible and painful from what i been told. but then i don't know what the diff between dis budding and de horning is but either one sounds awful. tipping? never saw it mentioned before.

I have rescued two nubians they have little nobbles where there horns should be. But i didn't do it.

I also know that polled is a term meaning born hornless...I also rescued a cat they had de clawed all four feet and put it out that should be against the law. i would of reported them for animal neglect if they hadn't moved. the cat was defenseless.

3. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    It really is not that bad. It seems horrible, but the goat is jumping around only sec after it is done! I have never heard if tipping a goats horn. Do you mean banding it?

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We tipped the end of my kids does horns, but I am not sure how much you 'have' to tip. We used their hoof trimmers and just cut the very tip off and make sure it wasn't sharp. Some goats have very sharp tips and they frown on that in the show ring w/kids especially -that's what I've been told anyway.
    I plan to tip 2 does soon as they seem to have gotten sharper tips!

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I believe that "tipping" means to take the sharp points off.....I've seen some smooth the tips with a dremel type tool while others saw the tip off.

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I tipped Fancy's horns because she kept getting her head stuck. She's not very bright but is very sweet. Hubby says she rode on the short goat cart. :laugh: It didn't bother Fancy at all when I did it. Heck, she never even stopped chewing her cud.

Gina

wheel-bear-o likes this.
  7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Hmm...never heard of tipping. :shrug:

What kind of goat are we talking about...dairy or meat? Dairy goats are not supposed to be shown in sanctioned shows, however, in non sanctioned shows or fairs...I think you're ok. You could band the horns...but they may or may not fall off by 2 months. Also, during fly season isn't the best time to band. You could have a vet surgically dehorn...but I don't really like that method and there are more risks involved.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    This is a Doe?...usually at shows... Does don't need to be tipped or dehorned.....well... I never heard of a Doe... that had to be..... to show her......
    What breed is she?

I do agree with you... on taking horns...no matter the method .... but with some breeds and in some situations.... it is best to do so...Also... some breeders want them tipped...disbudded...dehorned ect...and I do respect them in their preferences but.... I am with you...won't do that to mine.... So you are not alone but... I will respect those who do...within good reason.... :hug:

9. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    In Maine you cannot show dairy goats in 4-H or open shows if they have horns. They must be disbudded. Removing the horns protects us, the humans, from getting accidentally speared. More importantly, it keeps your herd from using them on each other hen they start fussing over who's in charge.

I have a friend who let his Alpine wethers and his Nigerian doe keep their horns. They are still fairly young, but he regrets it. The wethers are growing into big boys and they can get aggressive with those horns when they don't like what "Daddy" wants them to do.

Disbudding young kids is much easier and more humane than trying trying to saw off or surgically remove the horns of an older goat. Please research well before you start trying to remove them!

10. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    If by tipping you just want to take off an inch or so I would use bone wireI forget what its actually called. I think obstetric wire not sure. But its a piece of wire with 2 handles. I've used it on bigger scurs

11. I've seen market goats that had bands around the horns (about and inch away from the end) to take off the tips. I'm not sure how long that would take to work though.

12. Tolers Boers

Tolers Boers New Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Monticello KY
    okay i found somewhere it said to file them down but not to go to the tissue. just to file them to a blunt form in other words just get the point off.
    like filing fingernails some women want that straight across look some want a rounded shape etc.

but it did say u could either file it or use a grinder but they make noise...i guess if i had to do that i would file it like fingernails.

13. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    I take the very tips off my goats horns so they are not sharp. I take a wire cutter snip it off and file it to a round point with a rasp. It takes a bit of force to get the cutters to cut but it works for me. I do not make my goats bleed but take off just enough so they are not a sharp point. If that's not what your talking about are you talking about the caps they put on fighting bulls horns?

14. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I've seen pictures of driving goats from way back when with these and think it looks snazzy. I want to do something like this for my driving goat, but can't find anything like this already made. :-(

15. Tolers Boers

Tolers Boers New Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Monticello KY
    so just real sharp clippers and nip em at the tips huh?

16. If you take clippers like the plier type for trimming horse hoofs and nip the tip you shouldn't hit any blood vein. The blood vein usually only extends from the head out a few inches.

17. Chase it' Farms

Chase it' Farms New Member

Jul 26, 2011
    oregon
    i learneed that tipping just means putting tennis balls on the end of their horns or something during shows

18. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

19. Christina Smith

Christina Smith New Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Helotes TX
    Guys, tipping is taking the sharp point off of the horns so the ends are blunt. It’s not painful, but you have to be careful to not go too low, just take the point off, no more

20. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

This is a very old thread in case you didn't realize... ;)