Tips for beginner to dairy goats???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Willow's Meadow, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    I might be getting two two month old dairy goats this summer and I am completly new to goats. I have been researching it a lot and reading about it a lot the past few months so I know a little about caring for them. But do you have any tips for feeding, pasturing, stabling and caring for 2 month old goats???

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

What breed are you getting?

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i highly recammend the book "raising goats for milk and meat" by rosalee sinn. its a little old but i think its the most helpful for newbies. it has tons of pictures and is in plain english, like its easy to understand. what breed are you getting? good luck!

4. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I'm a newbie too! and have Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats... I like the book How to Raise Goats by Carol Amundson... but I've probably learned more here on this forum. I have my two does in my backyard and a new buckling. My housing is pretty minimal.. they dont need much, but they do need a covered dry area to get out of the wind and rain, pasture is good, but I feed mine mostly alfalfa
    along with minerals and black oil sunflower seeds and goat food (grain) . They love attention, petting, treats, playthings to climb on... all of this is pretty easy to give to young goats cause they're so darn cute.. you just want to spend time with them. Good luck and have fun!

5. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    I found Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats to be very helpful when I first got my goats. I got my copy at Tractor Supply.

6. ettasmama

ettasmama New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nebraska
    I thought "Personal Milkers; A Primer to Nigerian Dwarf Goats" was good. Well written and not too overwhelming for a beginner. Being new to goats though I can't speak to how it stacks up to other books.

7. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Make sure you get a wormer, iron, selenium, an antibiotic, and screw worm spray :)

8. Abigail

Abigail New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    We're also new to goats and have two female Nubians that are 2 months old. One is very friendly whereas the other is quite scared and/or shy. Not sure how to gentle the one more but we pet as often as we can but we also both work fulltime jobs too. How much hay should we be feeding these goats? They don't seem to eat all that is offered - so any ideas on how many flakes of hay or portion of? We also turn them out in pasture to work on weeds which also has some grasses too. We don't have alot of grass though but planting more. They are brought into the barn each night, stall set up just for them with an old wagon they love to sleep in. The horses are brought in most nights so we do the same with the goats - all are in for inclement weather too. When horses stay out overnight we will still bring in the goats for safety from predators.

Thanks for feeding suggestions. The old lady we bought them from gave us some of their home-mixed grain mix and we bought some as well.

Any ideas on the suggestion of screw worm dewormer, anti-biotics, iron, selenium, etc? Please explain in more detail so we can make some intelligent decisions. Aren't most of this covered in goat feed in general (selenium, iron, etc)?

Thanks,
    Abigail