tips for long trip

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by ohiogoatgirl, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    I'm thinking of trying something. it wont be right away, just something I'm thinking of. I'm interested in living sort of like the goat man. but cleaner and a bit more modern. if i were to live like a gypsy via pack/harness goats for, let's say, a year what would you recommend i take and how many goats? it would just be me and the goats unless i find someone else as crazy as me... which is unlikely! lol!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow..... that is quite an adventure to endure.....but interesting.... wish I could help but ....I really don't have a clue......

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i was thinking for food:
    jerky
    dried beans
    dehydrated foods
    noodles and rice
    flour and sugar
    peanut butter
    but what would i do about milking? i can tie the does to a tree and milk them without a stand but i will only use some milk and i could sell the rest but what about laws on raw milk? and if i sell extra milk then i could buy food along the way and i wouldn't need to carry so much.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good food choices.... can goods ...are always good too....but make sure you get a can opener..... :wink:

The milk issue I really don't know... :scratch:

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Have you left yet? LOL.
    I'm crazy [email protected] Come pick me up and we can meander over to the pacific ocean like Louis and Clark! I'm up for adventure!

6. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    gypsies are cool. well not the ones that steal things and the ones that left me on the doorstep and promised to return for me someday. and the bells on their toes can be annoying if you are trying to sleep. but otherwise cool.

7. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    that sounds cool! take me with you! I know nothing about it but I figure it would be fun :)

Miranda

8. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    ha ha ha!
    no i'm no closer to anything like that.
    although i'm talking to this guy and he's pretty crazy about me but now i'm getting more into homesteading stuff.
    although if i had the opportunity i wouldnt likely turn it down.