Tips on breeding..plz!! UPDATE

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Dec 12, 2007.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I posted in the mini forum about the 2 does I agreed to have bred by Chief. They're here and they are darling girls. Any how, it looks as though they had some discharge and their owner had said the last they were in heat was Nov.24 and Nov. 29. I don't know the length of their cycles...but right now they want nothing whatsoever to do with Chief, he starts blubbering and they run as fast as they can away from him. He's a pesky boy so he is and persistant too. My girls always had some discharge and swelling as well as a lot of squatting to pee in front of the buck. I don't plan on keeping them where they are stressed by my girls but Chief is in the stall next to them. My work schedule allows me to supervise them after 2pm...meaning that I can allow Chief to be with them at that time...I don't want him hurt for being a pest while I'm not around. Would waiting til 2 be an issue as far as catching either of them in standing heat?
    Also, this is REALLY wierd, Binky is acting like a buck! She is "growling" and trying to mount the younger one and twisting herself into the position a buck takes to make his face wet! She's preggy! Would her being the low man on the totem pole in my herd make her act this way?

I agreed to keep these two girls until I was sure that they were bred, and since they "live" way east of me(3 1/2 hours) the weather is a big factor on when their owner can pick them up.

How would you deal with a situation like this, I mean the breeding part and not knowing the does "signs" that they are ready?

THE YOUNGER OF THE 2 IS VERY HAPPY WITH HIM TODAY!!!!! :twisted:

2. eliya

eliya New Member

I would keep watching the does as closely as you can. They will stand for the buck when they are ready.

As for Binky's behavior... That is a dominance thing. I guess you could say she wants to show who is boss. If she is on the bottom of the pecking order, that would definitely make her pretty sure to let the new ones know that she doesn't want to be below them. My does often start acting 'bucky' when there are new goats or goats they haven't been with added the the pen.

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    i would lead them to his location and if they act interested then leave them together. If not then take them away and try again the next day. I have done that several times and it has worked for me.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I tried the whole hand breeding thing with Aspen for the first time this year.

She wanted nothing to do with the buck while I held him. But once I let her go I watched them for like 10-15 minutes and he finally got the deed done.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, today they still didn't want him around, I will be allowing him out of the stall (they are horned, he isn't) while I feed and give TLC. Katie and Kizzy seem to be alot more at ease today, Katie though seemed more interested in Hank on the other side of the fence, at least thats where she kept going when Chief would get too close. Due to the safety issue I can't let the little pest with them un supervised and the fact that they seem to get very stressed when he chases them. Also, the girls owner told me that this is their first winter experience, they are from Florida! They are super fluffy in their winter coats and Katy has rust colored spots that weren't there in the summer, so her owner told me. I'll continue with the suggestion of doing the "introduction" daily to see if they'll take any interest, hope so cause I know Chief is "potent"...Bootsies due Feb. 11. :twisted:

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    not sure if mini's are the same but my does come in every 18 to 21 days. so if they were in on nov 24th they should be coming in this weekend. moving them to your place can also delay there cycle a bit. if you can i would pen them get to the buck & when they come in you should be able to tell. i only hand breed mine & when they come in to a standing heat they are that way for atleast one whole day so would say that you shouild be fine waiting till 2 to get the job done. i agree also that stressing them out is not a good idea.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks a bunch! They can see him and smell him and the same for him, silly boy is "romancing" the stall gate and every time they get close enough to him he starts the sputtering and they go to the other side. He actually sounds pretty pathetic! The 2 of them are getting more relaxed about being here so hopefully the stress didn't disrupt their cycles too much.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when they are ready they will go from being scared spitless to loveing up on him! I have seen it happen!

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Haha, VERY true. I have does that would run from the bucks till the drop. But when the are in standing heat they can't get enough of the smelly guys!

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Today was the same, neither wanted a thing to do with him, it's snowing really hard right now so they didn't want to go out, he tried to corner the younger doe but she was having none of that, she hid under the milkstand so he couldn't do anything but spit and blubber. Hoping for a match up in the next few days!