Tips on Generating Sales

Discussion in 'Business Buzz' started by mnspinner, Jun 1, 2009.

1. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I have found this a very challenging season for goat sales. Never had a problem in the past. I'm figuring the economy and in my area, more people breeding NDs is the culprit.
    Hoping you will shares your experiences and any suggestions to drum up sales.
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have to tell you I have to opposite problem this year. I have had a harder time selling my goats, but this year I did not have enough to sell. Matter of fact I sold does that I never planned on selling because thee people offered me prices that I could not refuse.

I have people that have put money down on babies for next year already. For me I believe that the Cashmere industry is really booming now.

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I use craigs list with good results and kijiji, plus I advertise in a little paper that is delivered to all residents in our county and all of the surrounding counties so that brings lots of calls and emails too. Plus, any other farm advertising sites that are out there that I run onto.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do the same as....K-Ro....... :wink:

I also have my own website..... :)
  5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thus far its been mostly word of mouth & a few flyers at the feed stores.
    Have also been approached at a Boer show one year a couple was looking for a Nubian. It just so happened that I had one for sale.
    Because of the word of mouth our local FFA called me looking for animals for their project.
  6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Here are a couple things that I have done that have worked for me.

I have the website - and on the front page always put the date of last update - keeps people checking in.....
    on the website post little notes on the breeding page with updates on the girls. - it is like 15 bucks for the year - and you would not believe the hits off of it in the past few weeks for me.

Network with other breeders in the area - maybe not even just Nigerian breeders - but build a report with them so that you can refer back and forth when you don't have something someone is looking for - helps ALOT!

We have a Nicklelsworth / penny pincher - which goes out county and state and region wide - pay for a month (about $100.00) then take a couple months off. I found that is better then posting constantly - people get tired of seeing the same person over and over - and think there is a reason that they always have animals for sale.

Same with Craigslist - I don't post constantly - funny enough I still get responses from ads from a month ago.

Offer a service of a "notification list" for people when babies are born or new animals are put up for sale - your list of contacts will grow quickly and these are people that are already interested in your animals and might just see something that you have when they weren't even thinking about another goatie.
  7. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I know this was posted a while ago, but that is just evil kelebek... tempting us with new kids when we don't mean to be buying more goaties ;)

From a business perspective, pure genius though ;)
  8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    word of mouth for me...
    sell alot of goats that way. and CL. :)