The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the breeders and places I've been to look at goats ....they all keep their bucks together happily without fighting but I'm jure they have their squabbles sometimes. I would love to be able to keep my 3 bucks together so that they would have a whole acre to themselves instead of having to keep each one in their own separate pen. I've tried putting them together with alot of space, I've tried putting them in a pen together but nothing works for me they constantly fight and butt heads to the point that their heads bleed and someone is going to get hurt. Is their anything that I can do to be able to keep them together like other people do?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
They are going to fight for a bit.. To Figure out the pecking order...
You can Do it in the spring when they aren't in rut... So they aren't quite so tuff. ;)
After a few hours they should be better and in no time will be best buds I'm sure ;) good luck!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
You have to let them work out the pecking order. It's not a pretty sight while they're doing it tho. Are they in sight and smell of the does? If so, that might be part of the problem. I just throw mine together in the pen (they are right beside where the does are....) and let them deal with each other. None have gotten seriously hurt, but there is a definite pecking order

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Takes a while before they get used to each other. When I got my second buck it took 2 weeks or so before things calmed down a bit. My bucks also share a fence line with the does, so I am sure that doesn't help.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the does are close enough that they can see and smell them. All 3 are very close to the same size. I usually tried just putting 2 together at a time i think I'm gonna put the 3 of them together and see how it goes .

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They hit so hard it scares me that one is gonna get hurt . Should I just let them go at it until they figure it out even when their heads start bleeding?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With all 3 together the fighting isn't near as gruesome . I think their attention is divided more instead of just 1 on 1 . They are just tussling a little with light head butts. Mostly just pushing so far :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well my friend that's some cool pics ;) yes its best to just throw them all in and let them go for it. They get it over and done with and you don't worry any more

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
My kinder buck this this season went bonkers...Aggressive the whole ball of wax. I'm guessing though it's because I have an oberhasli buck:( Those 2 constantly fight:( Fortunately the kinder will go and live with some other does tomorrow, so we are going to see if that calms him down. They've been at it for about 2 weeks now...:(

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Puffin" the caramel pygmy gave up first....he said the heck with this I'm going to get something to eat....lol then the other pygmy and nigerian buck went at it for a while until they were tired panting and thirsty :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
"Puffin" the caramel pygmy gave up first....he said the heck with this I'm going to get something to eat....lol then the other pygmy and nigerian buck went at it for a while until they were tired panting and thirsty :)
Hopefully they will become friends instead of staying rivals like my boys....

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
They will work things out, just watch to be sure that each are getting the feed they need... my boys tend to be good until a doe is in heat or it's feeding time.

I have got to say that you have some very nice looking boys! My Hank was a black pygmy buck with horns :) Seeing your black fellow makes me smile in remembrance of my boy :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They will work things out, just watch to be sure that each are getting the feed they need... my boys tend to be good until a doe is in heat or it's feeding time.

I have got to say that you have some very nice looking boys! My Hank was a black pygmy buck with horns :) Seeing your black fellow makes me smile in remembrance of my boy :)
Thanks:D the black pygmy's name is "Mark" short for (Diamond Rose Century Mark) he is the sweetest buck I've ever seen. He won my heart the first day.Hes been on a diet to lose a few pounds because every time he would try to breed his belly was to big and he would end up rolling over on his back and couldn't hardly get up....lol

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, that made me chuckle about Mark:)
Yes it was very funny to see but at the same time I felt sorry for him :) he has lost a few pounds since I've had him and he gets out to get exercise every day now and he's able to breed now without getting stuck on his back kicking his legs and rolling back and forth like a big bug :D

·
Registered
31,054 Posts
I agree...they will fingure things out..just keep a watch to be sure one is not getting hurt...their will be blood..and panting, get tired..then its dinner time and they eat and have a rest lol.....I have three big boys together...2 year old Amos is over 250#, one year old Thunder is 180# and Jr who will be a yearling next month is close to #120#..they have their tiffs but nothing serious...Its better to introduce them when they are not in full blown rut...Notin sight of the girls is better but we all do what we can with the space we have...
You pocs are awesome and the boys handsome :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts