The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
1,524 Posts
Even my does will fight like that, bleeding heads and all, when a new one is added or a subordinate one decides she wants to be lead. Goats butt heads, thats what they have evolved to do. Their skulls are thick and able to take the blows from another goat.

I've always kept my bucks together. They fight until they have established the herd order and then all is fine. Yes, it gets a bit bloody when the scurs get broken off, but no harm is done and it keeps me from having to trim the scurs!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yep just like everyone has said, they will work it out. And it looks to be better since they don't have horns. We run anywhere from 5-20 bucks together with horns. So when breeding season is over and the bucks go back together, it's a very scary time because our cashmeres have wild horns so we have to be careful and make sure legs don't get hooked and such, which is where horn shape and spacing is so important.

We don't throw them all together at once, just to reassure everyone lol it's a gradual process.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I put mine in pens next to each other and they butted heads for days but they finally got tired of fighting and when I removed the fence the stayed in there own pens.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You all were right :) they only fought for a day and everything is well in the buck pen now.They are pals already:) they share their food and space with no problems.....the crazy thing is that they are taking turns humping each other....lol

21 - 24 of 24 Posts