The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I bought the newest additions to our family last weekend... We now have 2 does (both mommas) and 3 kids... We were told the kids were 3 months old, but the owner wasn't sure of exactly when they were born because they were out grazing on a friend's farm. I do know that we have two doelings and one buckling. They haven't been disbudded as of yet, is it too late? The doelings are twins, and their horns are just barely starting to poke out of the top of their hair. The buckling however has slightly longer/larger horns. Also, would it be too late to have him wethered? We don't mind keeping him as a buck, as he has a great personality so far and is a beautiful animal. Also, the does we're tested a bit over a year ago for CAE and CL, should they be retested? Which vaccines should I be giving the kids, as we are pretty sure they have had none. The previous owner didn't even realize there was a buck on the property where he sent his goats. Please help us be the best goat keepers we can be!

·
14,615 Posts
First, welcome to TGS!
What breed are they?
Honestly I wouldnt want an intact buck not my first year or two. It's not to late to have him banded. I dont know about the horns, a real experienced person can probably burn them for you depending on how big they are.
The kids wont be ready for testing till they are 6 mos old.
The most common vac is CDT.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are boers, although one doe appears to be a boer/la mancha mix. The previous owner wasn't much help with information.

·
14,615 Posts
Well Boers are not normally disbudded & dont use their horns willy nilly so unless you really dont want them it's not gonna be fun at this stage to have them removed.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Hi there! Welcome to TGS!

The doelings might be able to be disbudded if the iron tip fits around the bud. But it's a bit late for disbudding. You'd probably get scurs.
Yes, the buckling can be wethered anytime. I'd band him personally.
If you want to test for CAE and CL then you can do so anytime with the adults. Some people test, some people don't. That's up to you.
And yes, CD/T is a common vaccination for kids. I do BoSe as well if needed.

·
Super Moderator
59,722 Posts
If the disbudder doesn't fit over the horns, you can always band them. I would go ahead and band the little buckling. When they get older, they do stink.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts