Tips on Stacking Alone

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by FoxRidge, Jun 22, 2020.

1. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    So I am only 2 yrs into the goatie world but have always struggled with getting decent pictures of my goats. Trying to get my boyfriend to help just usually lead to irritation onboth sides because he never would hold the goat right or he wouldn't take the pictures right, always as a funny angle or cutting half the goat off. a few weeks ago i was suggested setting up a small area to video the goats and take stills from the videos. I tried that and then tried setting my camera up to take 10 timed out pictures. I would end up taking on average 60 pictures of each goat but I could usually get a few pretty decent ones of them standing. All my "photo booth" is is my sidewalk and a bucket the camera sits on. Sometimes i still get a bit funny angles but for the most part it works out pretty good.

Also if you would like to critique some of my goats that would be wonderful too :)

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Part 2 of my goats

Attached Files:

3. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Beautiful goats, you have some good depth of chest and body capacity in your girls! The younger ones have nice rear leg angularity also. I’m still learning to judge though. Wish your herd was closer :(, I would maybe buy a kid from you.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Moers kiko boars and FoxRidge like this.
  4. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I would avoid taking pictures where it could cast shadows and make the goats look funky

5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    It's always best to take pics in the shade or at dusk - tip from a photographer friend.

6. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Indeed! Some of my goats look......divine? Angelic in GLOW lol but yeah. it makes them hard to see because no one is behind the camera to refocus it

7. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Nice looking herd you have!

I totally get you about having a family member "help" you with photos. Trying to get my son to either take a focused picture or holding the goat correctly is a course in patience. I end up with some odd looking goats. LOL

8. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I think it takes about 3,000 pics to get 3 good ones..... we had a group of us do a "shave n shoot". After shaving about 20, it took four of us to get the photos right with one goat at a time.

FoxRidge likes this.
  9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yep we had the same frustration here, just I had my kids helping me. It didn’t go well, I was annoyed, they were done with me being picky and we never tried it again lol all my photos are all natural poses. Although my son is old enough to handle the goats more and gets the poses they should be in now that he has shown at the fair for a few years. We have moved past the “it’s good enough” to “I have to get it right” so we might brave that again some day soon lol
    I think you have nice pictures though!

10. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Very nice goats! I like your idea of setting the camera up and having it take a bunch of pics. My husband tries, but it’s a struggle to get good pics.

FoxRidge likes this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I thought as well that this could show folks why we do stack when trying to get an idea of conformation. Some believe its an effort to hide faults but really it can really make them pop. This breeding season I wish LA's weren't canceled from Covid I would have loved to get freshened does appraised so i could best match them up with the boys. It'll be off of my untrained eyes :/ lol

toth boer goats likes this.