The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've watched videos, however, looking for anyone's tips and tricks that you use when trimming hooves? TYVM in advance

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hi! This is sort of a tip. It may not be useful if you have more than maybe 4-6 goats.
Every time I feed mine, 2x a day, I feel them all over; massage udders(mine aren't in milk), feel for injuries, check eyes,ears, and check feet. In the beginning I lifted the hoof like I would when trimming and held it there until they stopped struggling. The second they were calm I set it down. 2 weeks in and now they don't mind at all. It makes it a lot easier when I actually have to trim. I'm hoping to train them to lift the hoof when I tap on the ankle.

·
8,178 Posts
I have a bunch of goats, milking only 50 or so right now. Somebody gets hooves trimmed every milking. I try and do at least 3 a day. So everyone in milk gets at least one trim a month. Dry stock, kids and yearlings about every 2-3 months. Bucks, when they need it and right before rut. (Aug.)

They get put on a stand, head locked in and I trim. They learn to hold still. I wish I could coddle them, but a firm hand and talking to them, they learn pretty quickly to hop up and stand still.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi! This is sort of a tip. It may not be useful if you have more than maybe 4-6 goats.
Every time I feed mine, 2x a day, I feel them all over; massage udders(mine aren't in milk), feel for injuries, check eyes,ears, and check feet. In the beginning I lifted the hoof like I would when trimming and held it there until they stopped struggling. The second they were calm I set it down. 2 weeks in and now they don't mind at all. It makes it a lot easier when I actually have to trim. I'm hoping to train them to lift the hoof when I tap on the ankle.
I like this idea! Reinforcing the good behavior, similar to training a dog.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
I've watched videos, however, looking for anyone's tips and tricks that you use when trimming hooves? TYVM in advance
Get them used to being on a stand and their feet messed with while they are young. Give a handfull of grain or a treat at first. Then before you know it they will happily jump up there. We have two that we started when they were just big enough to go on my milkstand. A buck and doe. They do not care one lil bit about me doin their hooves so long as there is alfalfa pellet in the bucket. Even when they are done eatin if i am not they both stand still. The other two bucks are a tad more difficult but they have learned they get treats too. They are so much better than they were when we got them. A 2yo wether that was born here.... we waited to put him up there and just picked up his feet. He always fought before but now he goes on the stand and stands there nicely too. We have trimmed on the two 4mo kids and they do not like it but are ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts