The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking for some advice on raising goats. I have almost 70 acres thatis partially fenced and was thinking of starting a goat herd. I am wanting to start small and build up to roughly 80-100 head in a few years. I'm looking at Savannahs, Kiko, and maybe Boer. The problem I'm having is what is best market to sell for replacement does, slaughter, or what. I have the barn, equipment, and not afraid of work. We used to run about 30 head of cattle. I have emailed some local people I have found on various websites and associations with no replys. I have been researching a lot and learned a lot. I just have some specifics I want to know before I started buying goats. I am in middle TN and I know they have a goat sale about a hour away. I didn't know if that would be my best option. I would like to get to the point to where I could move alot of goats.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Take a day and go to the sale and see what makes the most money (breed wise). Start out slow, with a small number, that will give you a idea what your in for. Take it from me, goats are NOTHING like cattle. I went into goats with the idea of, well heck I raised cattle my whole life, no, dont go in with that idea. You dont need to trim your cows feet, and goats tummys are way more sensitive then a cows. If you can find a butcher house thats your best bet and you drop your animal off knowing what you are going to get for it. It sounds like you want to get into meat goats for meat, just do as much reading as you can and be open to new ideas, I am changing my mind on what I want to do all the time and this is just shy of 5 years ;)

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
Maybe going to the sale barn, you can meet some breeders who will be more open to talking to you when they see you face to face.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I would suggest you spend a few days at the sale barn and maybe buy a few order buyers a cup of coffee or lunch. They are the ones who know who is looking for what, and what they are willing to pay for it. I think you will find that you will be better off going the sale barn route for at least a little while until you have a reputation established.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts