The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of research about what to do when it comes to neutering my bucks. One camp says banding is no big deal; they're miserable for a few hours and then it's business as usual. The other camp is adamant that it's the most inhumane treatment of any animal. Ever.

One site that was very much against banding touted the use of the emasculatome. It sounds easy enough, but knowing if it worked or not (especially for a newbie like me) can take weeks.

What do y'all do?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
I band... I find they are uncomfortable for a little while.. They cry for a while and lay on the ground and moan... But I do it at night.. And they get to sleep with mom to make them feel better that night too.. The next morning they are hoping and playing like normal.. I of corse keep an eye on it to make sure everything is going ok.. And when it starts to fall off I spray blue Kote on it too :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just did my first band the other week. The buck was not himself for about two days. Then he was fine. For two days he just didn't have his usual energy. I know I would not be able to cut them and I can't afford the vet every time. Now after doing it I think it is the way to go.

Eden Acres Rembert SC

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At what age (in weeks) should I think about castration? These are Nubian bucks; born on 10/29.
Oops...just saw that you already answered that!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
I find the older they are the harder they take it... I have hear that from others aswell.. Honestly it's up to you.. I do it at 8 weeks to be sure everything has had time to grow.. And my kids are most always sold by then and ready to leave at 9weeks... I have banded at two/three weeks before with no I'll effects.. And the kids took it much better... But won't be making a habit of that...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I "clamped" my boy instead of banding or cutting.

Here's what I found out; I had to do it twice because only one side worked, but it was easy to tell which side it was in retrospect because only one side swelled. When we redid the other side it swelled like the first. Knowing that, next time I'm just gonna do it one side at a time a couple days apart. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,789 Posts
Your right it is very hard to tell if you broke that cord or not. We tried it on our calf's one year and we had some one nutted boys running around. I say band them. I don't see a difference in pain between the two....they both hurt but with banding you know you got both of the boys in there.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
We band here too. We banded at 12 weeks and the boys weren't themselves for two or three days but apparently that's normal.

·
8,487 Posts
I band as well. I have banded at least 50 bucklings in the last few years with no problems. Generally at 2-3 months old. The oldest was 5-1/2 mos. old!
He got really aggressive, no one wanted an Alpine buckling, so he got the band. It never even phased him- he is all dried
out and ready to drop off, he still snorts and acts silly! (and both were in the band!).

I did discover one day, if I give a shot of banamine, band them, then make them walk around for about 2 hrs. the crying and moaning
is almost non-existent. But, the important thing is to make sure both testicles are in the band, no teat is caught, hair isn't wrapped
around the band and the skin isn't all wrinkled really bad where the band is. There will be some wrinkles, but not a lot. I also
keep the bands in the refrigerator. It is supposed to keep the rubber from breaking down.

My opinion is that banding is much more humane than cutting. But, like everything else with goats, it all depends on a person's personal preference
and what they are most comfortable doing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts