To breed, or not to breed....

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Goober, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I have an almost 2 year old Boer cross that was stunted. She and her sister were orphaned at a month old and basically just survived on their own. They were on 10 acres and the owner only occasionally put out some whole corn for supplemental feeding of the entire herd. When I got her at about 1 year of age, she was about 40# She now is probably about 100#. She would be getting bred to an almost year old boer/x who is a bit bigger than her. Do you think it would be a really bad idea to breed her next month?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't see an issue, though I would treat her as any FF, she weighs plenty to be bred but she is your doe...do what you would be comfortable with.

3. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I'm saying breed, the only reason it is up in the air is that technically she isn't mine, but my mother's. And, there is a good chance that I can't be around at kidding time. Her's seem to kid while I am at work...

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    she should be ok .....her weight is enough to breed......just be there ...when she kids... as she will be a FF...... :wink: