The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Except for my first goat, who just wandered up to the house, every goat I have is an abandoned newborn that was given to me. I currently have 6 (2 does and 4 bucks). Sept. 6 I was given twin boys (Spanish/Boer):boy: . I clearly do not need more boys and will probably be selling these cute little guys :tears:. I am trying to decide whether or not I should castrate the bucks I get and plan to sell off or keep them intact. I live in meat goat country and spoke to a rancher on Sunday who says he regularly castrates as he doesn't want his does getting pregnant every year and there are plenty of bucks around here. Once his wethers are old enough of course they go off to market. If I do not castrate but sell at auction or to a local rancher, I am sure the goat(s) will still wind up at auction (unless purchased for 4-H). Since I keep falling in love with the cute babies I bottle feed I would prefer the kids wind up in anice hobby farm, but I know that is not likely to happen very often. So the decision I need to make is do I castrate right away any bucks I am given or leave them intact? :question:

·
1,468 Posts
Any bucks that won't be used as a breeding buck should be castrated....if you want pet homes for them, wethering is best.
Liz is absolutely right.
When I first got Pan I debated whether or not to wether him. I worried that if I had to find him a new home someday that if he wasn't breedable that he might end up being eaten.
Turns out that the exact opposite is true. A sweet wether is far more likely to find a good home as a pet than an unregistered buck.
I am SO glad that I listened to the advice I got here and had Pan wethered. He is the PERFECT pet goat now! He never gets stinky. He doesn't drink urine or do any of those other yucky bucky things. He is the sweetest goat in the whole world and now that I am looking at possibly having to find him a good home I am finding that people would much rather have a sweet wether than an unregistered buck.
I could go on and on about how awesome Pan is, but I tend to do that on my other threads anyway LOL.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Yep...I agree with Liz. If you don't plan on breeding them...wether! ;) The goat market right now is filled with plenty of bucks...many of which should be wethers. Only the very best should be kept intact...the rest should be wethered. Not only will wethers have a better chance at pet homes, but they have "wether advantages" such as no stink! :thumb:

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
They'll have a better chance at pet homes as wethers. And it may be worth your time to have a facebook account or website dedicated to getting the word out about your rescue goats, that way if someone really falls in love with them, they can have them shipped. (=

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would wether them too. People wanting pet goats don't want a stinky buck. Wethers don't get stinky and they don't have the stress of going through rut. I would also see about having them disbudded before they get too old if you haven't already. It is much easier to find a home for a pet that doesn't have horns.

I think a facebook page or website is a great idea. Excellent way for you to get the word out about what you have available. Instead of "selling" them you could adopt them out for a small fee.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Wether - but here is the thing - MOST people that want "pets" do not want full size goats - they typically want minis.

Being in TX and knowing what you are talking about ... I would wether and sell as 4h / FFA goats to the YOUNG kids just starting out. That way they have a bottle baby that is easy to handle, you can start training the goats to fit - and that way, you are doing the farmer, yourself, and a young kid a good deed.

But that is me - and what I would do :)

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses. You have all been very helpful to us as wethink through this issue and make decisions about the goats that pass throughhere. I guess we need to order theequipment and then find a how-to YouTube video.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts