to cold

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by newmama30+, Mar 2, 2011.

1. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    Well last night all the babies were doing alright. When I went out this morning the littlest buckling who was born Monday night, had gotten to cold, I brought him in, I have him in a hot box right now trying to get his temp back up. I am going to make him a bottle baby, and sell him. I know not to feed him until his temp is 100 or over, I have tried to give the baths in the past havent had much luck with them bringing up temps though. So is there anything else I can try? oh I also tried the hair dryer, and a heater unfortunately that popped the breaker.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do you have whiskey or hard liquor? if so mix equal parts karo, coffee and whiskey together and give him 2-3cc

3. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    NOpe don't keep it in the house, my dad's a recovering Alcoholic. Would coffee and corn syrup work?

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can do just the coffe and karo if you havent tried it already

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Try another thermometer.... with all you have done... I would think... the temp should be going up.....I can't even think of any other methods other than what Stacey had mentioned... you have done them all.. :scratch:

6. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    his temp is now 92...I will keep up with the Karo and Coffee, that really perked him up.

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so sorry he's not doing well. I hope and pray his temp comes up. What's your weather like? I haven't had a chance to check the forecast other than just locally. Hopefully it warms up your way soon!

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try also some warm electrolytes

9. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    ended up really cold last night like-13, i will try the electrolytes

10. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    See this link:

http://allthingsgoat.com/2010/03/handling-hypothermia/

I know you tried a lot of these already, but it mentions a heating pad too. Just be careful because some heating pads heat up fast, even on low. I know you're popping breakers, but hopefully a heating pad won't. Also maybe you could warm towels/washcloths in your dryer and put them inside the legs.

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    yuck I couldn't imagine -13! Cold for us is in the upper single digits, very seldom do we ever get below that other than wind chill.
    I hope he is warming up, and sure wish some of this warmer weather would work it's way up to you!

12. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    thats what our hot box is, a cardboard box with a heating pad, and a towel over the pad, and over the box, it worked he got warm enough to eat finally, now he;s out of the box for a bit so he could stretch.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :hug: glad the temp is finally up...praying that the baby will be OK.... :pray:
    Feed the baby some milk now... if the temp is up to at least 100 degree's...that will help .... :hug: